Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok i'm new to turkey hunting i hunted last year without much sucses any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok i'm new to turkey hunting i hunted last year without much sucses any tips?

ok i'm new to turkey hunting i hunted last year without much sucses any tips?

Full camo, Sit very still, preferrably against a large tree.

Comment

Scouting is the most important thing as far a turkey hunting goes. You have to find the gobblers to be successful. My state is full of turkeys but there are areas where they are few and far between. In the south I look for areas of mature hardwoods interspersed with pasture or row crop land. In National forest areas I look for Mature forest interspersed with timber cuts or forest service land adjacent to agriculture. Get into a suitable area before dawn and listen for gobbling. Avoid using locator calls. Scout roads and old logging decks for signs of strutting gobbles, look for scratching in wooded areas. In the late morning and afternoon hours look for turkeys in pastures, fields and clear cuts.

Once you have the birds located continue to scout them and you will typically see a pattern of movement develop. Set up according to the pattern of movement. Don't over call, let the tom's mood and reactions tell you when and how much to call. Use good camo from head to toe, move quitely by foot, don't ride a 4 wheeler everywhere. Above all be patient!
      Good hunting!

Comment

I would have to agree with Beekeeper. Scouting is the primary thing you should concentrate on. Where did you see that flock while hunting deer this fall? Where were they during the winter months? Have you seen them roosted in trees near a creek? My friends and I hunt them with a bow, without a blind, so, it is even less successful than say with a blind and even lesser than with a shotgun. Full camo, practice your calls, I reccomend buying and studying Primos the Truth about Turkey Hunting or H.S. Strut Turkey DVDs.

Comment

I would also add that calling comes in next. It is one thing to sounds like a so-so turkey. Yeah do not get me wrong you will still sometimes get a hot gobbler but strive for the best. Even mix it up with a diaphram, pot and peg and maybe an egg. Sound like a group of hens just wanting a gobbler to come with them. Always practice year around.

Comment

Dress in camo from head to toe and make sure you are comfortable because you are going to need to sit real still. Also have a gun with a turkey load that is capable of shooting one down.

Comment

Scouting!

Comment

Scouting!

Comment

Scouting!

Comment

Scouting!

Comment

Scouting!

Comment

Scouting!

Comment

Scouting!

Comment

Scouting!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad