Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when deer lose their antlers do they lose both at the same time or one at a time? if they lose them one at a time then how long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when deer lose their antlers do they lose both at the same time or one at a time? if they lose them one at a time then how long

when deer lose their antlers do they lose both at the same time or one at a time? if they lose them one at a time then how long does it take to lose the second antler

Generally one at a time, although both at the same time is entirely possible. When one drops, the other will fall soon after, although it could be days.

Comment

They could lose both at the sametime, but seldom they do, but when one falls off it means the others ready too. So when you're looking for sheds, look around for another one after you find the first one.

Comment

Very true. Its common that the antlers fall off seperatly, but in a relatively short time frame. Though its still hard to find both antlers when hunting for sheds.

Comment

Usually they lose them one at a time, but I've seen them drop both at the same time after being spooked. It's seems that most younger deer take longer to drop the other shed compared to older deer.

Comment

It is very random with shedding. Sometimes a deer will drop both at the same spot. But most of the time, he drops one and drops the other one later. As for when the second one drops, again, its completely random. I found a match this year within 50 yrds of each other. But I have heard of matches being as far as a mile and a half a part. Just look anywhere the buck would go.

Comment

These guys have got it right. One of the more odd findings I have ever located was years ago when I almost stepped on a moose drop in the sagebrush on a mountainside. I picked it up and walked about five more steps and there lay the other. Both still had a bit of moist blood on the buttons but the bull was no where in sight.

Comment

They usualy loose them one at a time and close together but it is possible to loose them at the same time i guess.

Comment

Usually one at a time. I have seen them carry a single antler for several days to a week of more after the first one drops. I have also watched both drop as a buck hit the ground after jumping a fence!

Comment

Usually they will drop one at a time, but I have found pairs where they have bedded down. I watched 1 buck carry one antler for 3 weeks and I have found matched pairs up to 2 miles apart. There is no definate rule regarding shed hunting.

Comment

Yes, a lot of time you can find the match nearby but sometimes you cannot. It is entirely random.

Comment

Agreed with shane answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad