Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I try to keep water out of the cavity of a carcass - assuming the damp environment provides a breeding ground for bacteria. Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I try to keep water out of the cavity of a carcass - assuming the damp environment provides a breeding ground for bacteria. Yet

I try to keep water out of the cavity of a carcass - assuming the damp environment provides a breeding ground for bacteria. Yet, I read that several of you routinely wash the cavity out with water while it hangs. Do you just let it set or dry it out? Any problems?

I use a bucket of water to splash up in the cavity of the carcass. And I have not had any problems just letting it set and dry.

Comment

I use a water hose and have never had any problems.

Comment

I use a bucket of water to splash up in the cavity of the carcass. And I have not had any problems just letting it set and dry.

Comment

The problem with using water to clean out the cavity of an animal is if you are going to let it hang in freezing weather. If so, the water will freeze over the carcass and it will not properly cure.

Comment

That's true but I wash all the blood and guts out let it hang and the water will drain out.

Comment

It's too hot to hang deer where I live, so we normally quarter them and put them straight into coolers after a rinse with the hose. This method really freaked me out when I moved down here from a cooler climate, but it gives good results. If you add some salt or garlic salt to the water and keep adding ice as it melts, it will pull most of the blood out of the meat. The end result is similar to veal.

Comment

i often wash out the cavity, then pat it dry with a towel. One large buck i killed had to be drug downstream in a steep drainage creek. It was wet for hours. no problems, though i've heard it is a no-no

Comment

The only thing I rinse off with water are the inside tenders after they're removed. Everything else ( the transparent casing that surrounds the muscles) gets trimmed off anyhow. Maybe I field dress a little differently than most but I hardly get any blood in the cavity.

Comment

We usually just hang it up and rise it out with water. We just let it drip-dry and that works fine.

Comment

Walt - Can I come try your anti-gravity chamber?

Comment

I just spray down the inside with a hose, and hang it from a gambrel. It's not so much for me about cleaning it, as it is cooling the meat down to stop any bacterial growth. Then I hang it in the garage and shut the door to keep it cool. I live in MI so usually the temp. isn't a problem.

Comment

Wash and wipe out the cavity then pat dry and hand in cooler. Never had a problem.

Comment

Should have been hang.

Comment

I wash out the cavity with a couple buckets of water and let it hang...never have had any problems.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad