Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A previous question got me thinking bout going on someone elses land. A couple years ago I'd shot a deer and I knew it was a goo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A previous question got me thinking bout going on someone elses land. A couple years ago I'd shot a deer and I knew it was a goo

A previous question got me thinking bout going on someone elses land. A couple years ago I'd shot a deer and I knew it was a good shot. I thought the deer had ran on someone elses land and died. But after searching for a little bit found out it didn't. Can you call the game warden or someone to come with to get the deer if it went on someone elses land, they don't live in the area and you don't know how to contact them or do you just punch your tag as if you'd got the deer?

Call the game warden and get the deer legally.

Comment

I believe you should call the Game Warden for assistance. Not sure how it'd be handled if the warden can't make contact with the landowner though. I wouldn't fill out any tag until i'm sure the animal is dead though.

Comment

Steve182, the game warden should come ver and find the deer with you.

Comment

That's a good question, you are bound by a moral obligation to recover any animal you kill but at the same time you are bound by trespassing laws. Does anybody know what is the correct legal thing to do? This is an area where I think even the laws are contradictory, you need to make every reasonable effort to retrieve a downed animal but going on someone else land is trespassing, what do we do legally?

Comment

Make an attempt to call the land owner and document your attempt. I doubt if the game warden is going to give you permission to go onto someone elses property for any reason but a call to him verifying you have a downed animal and cannot get ahold of the landowner will go a long way if you get caught.

Comment

If you can't get a hold of the land owner and the warden won't come just find it and get back quickly. I know it's breaking the law but if you don't go get it you killed a deer for pretty much no reason.

Comment

If I can't reach the owner and the warden isn't going to come, then I would go and get the deer. If someone said anything then I would explain the situation.

One thing I just thought of, didn't want to retype everything, is you could try to call the count sheriff. They could probably help more than the game warden in this case.

Comment

Make an attempt to call the land owner and document your attempt. I doubt if the game warden is going to give you permission to go onto someone else property for any reason but a call to him verifying you have a downed animal and cannot get a hold of the landowner will go a long way if you get caught.

Comment

This happened to me a few years ago. A friend and I were hunting the opening day of muzzel loader. We crept within 45 yards of a herd of deer. Both of us shot deer and found blood trails going into the woods. The land was posted and we saw the land owner on the side of the road. She called the cops told them that we shot from the road. Within 10 minutes out in the middle of nowhere the state troopers, county sheriff and the DEC officers showed up. After they checked us over and we told them what had happened they would not let us get our deer that were wounded. The lady said that we could not go on her land to retrieve the downed animals. That day we lost two deer to a pointless person. She was never charged with falsly reporting a crime because she was the under sheriff's wife.

Comment

Call the Game Warden for sure!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad