Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best state for whitetails and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best state for whitetails and why?

what is the best state for whitetails and why?

This is a trick question. The best state is actually a province: Saskatchewan!

Comment

Iowa, Illinois, Kansas all produce a high number of RecordBook Bucks. States like Ohio, Maryland, and Texas too. Can't say as I have not hunted many of these states.

Comment

I would have to say Iowa, Illinios, Ohio, Kansas, and Texas.

Comment

I would have to say Minnesota, Texas, and Ohio.

Comment

Not sure about the overall best state, but we had a spot in southeastern OH that was underrated if you called it world class.

The bucks there had huge racks, mostly pretty typical, but they had it all. Super tall tines, wide enough for kids to lie in, and mass like a coke bottle. Not only this, but they were huge and heavy. Looked like the Saskatchewan deer. The only 2 deer I took out of there were the 2.5 year old babies (I was a 13 and 14 year old baby). The short runty 10 point (again, 2.5 years old) weighed 190 field dressed. The 8 point (actually the bigger deer in body and rack) weighed 220 field dressed.

You probably don't believe me, but if you went there, you might. The habitat and what's growing on it is pretty much optimum whitetail land. You've never seen a more copious deer buffet. A good mix of some agricultural sources with all the best wild species growing everywhere.

Comment

Shane, goin' this fall so i hope u ain't pulling our chain

Comment

Kansas and Iowa.

Comment

Check Wayne National Forest, since I figure you won't be able to get permission from landowners as a visitor easily.

But if you wanna try, I'll give up my old spot.

The house in the lower left with the big whitish looking driveway is my old house. I would kill to live there again.

Dead center is about where you want to be. See if you can find what we called the Buck Bowl.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=39.452913,-81.506753&amp;spn=0.009726,0.013819&amp;t=h&amp;z= 16&amp;output=embed&amp;s=AARTsJpnOA3ioEtcI9rx_v7g yZqlolGTYw"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=39.452913,-81.506753&amp;spn=0.009726,0.013819&amp;t=h&amp;z= 16&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Figure it out.

Comment

In sheer numbers of deer Texas has all the other states beat, but remember Texas is a big state and takes the better part of a day to drive across.

Comment

They are definitely Iowa, Illinois, and Kansas for me!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad