Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is in your mind the sturdyest most dependable rifle ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is in your mind the sturdyest most dependable rifle ever made?

what is in your mind the sturdyest most dependable rifle ever made?

Marlin lever action.

Comment

Kalishnikov AK-47 can be submerged in mud and will still function flawlessly. Ok it a military arm, then how about the Savage 100E. I've owned one for 32 years and its never failed to function no matter how I've abused it.

Comment

Break action never fails.

Comment

Marlin lever actions are pretty reliable, and so are Rugers. They may not be the most accurate but they go off when you pull the trigger.

Comment

break action guns

Comment

As far as commercial hunting rifles go Remington 700's and Ruger M77 are both hard to beat.

Comment

Something German. The stuff they build over there doesn't break. Ever. Don't even try.

BMW? Mauser? Stihl? Ever have any of those products and have them fail?

Comment

Good to see break action guns mentioned. Simplicity and minimal parts makes for the best reliability.

And do you really need more than one shot often? You shouldn't...

Comment

Best battle rifle is the M1 Garand hands-down! For a hunting rifle, I would say the Remington 700 or the Ruger 77.

Comment

The Enfield .303 has got to be one of the most durable rifles. Even antique ones are still being converted into magnum shooters although they require a lot of effort.

Comment

Marlin 30-30 or the ruger m77

Comment

A 270, 30-06, or a 30-30 lever action.

Comment

I am partial to the Mauser action with the claw extractor myself. If you want to really understand depedability, survey the professional hunters from Africa. You won't find many of them shooting a lever action or a Rem 700. Why? Because of dependability in the rain, mud, dirt, upside down or right side up. PH's say that most Rem 700s and lever actions are found in the hands of widows in Africa. For dangerous game, I have never had a cartrige guaranteed to slide in and out of the chamber as reliably and as slick as a .375 H&H. It is designed for that with the long sloping case and it really works. But then again, what do we need reliability for in most North American hunting? Our life doesn't usually depend on it and if we miss an opportunity, it makes us even more jubulant when we finally succeed. Just kidding... I hate it when a malfunction causes me to miss a shot.

Comment

Remington 700 SPS

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad