Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you all think of using a 223. for whitetails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you all think of using a 223. for whitetails?

what do you all think of using a 223. for whitetails?

barely adequate, only for good shooters. Club up a bit if you can handle the recoil.

Comment

You will definitely kill the deer with a good shot. In my mind, the problem would be tracking. It would seem to be such a fast, small bullet that it would just fragment violently and not leave an exit hole. The deer would die, but I think you would have a hard time finding it. I wouldn't do it. If I am wrong, someone tell me why.

Comment

I think that it is too small, I know it will work. I just think that if you have something alittle bigger use it.

Comment

good answer steve

Comment

It can be done, especially with the heavier bullets out there. BUT it is not an effective deer caliber for any of the reasons listed above.

Comment

It can be done, especially with the heavier bullets out there. BUT it is not an effective deer caliber for any of the reasons listed above.

Comment

55grain soft point is no problem, I shot Mule Deer as far as 700 yards with my 22-250

Comment

I think would just shoot it in the head, so it would die quickly. It is not legal in many states, except for Texas.

Comment

i can get a 1 in. group at a hunderd yards reste and a three in. off hand it isn't leagel in my part of my but just a thought

Comment

*rested *leagl

Comment

With a well placed shot, you can certainly take a whitetail with a .223; however, out of respect for the life of the whitetail I intend to take, I wouldn't use a .22 centerfire for whitetail. I consider the .223 well suited to smaller game, but the rib cage, sternum or shoulder of a whitetail could deflect a 55-60 grain bullet, requiring a quick follow-up shot or permitting a wounded whitetail to escape or suffer a lingering death. A larger caliber (and heavier bullet) would penetrate with better certainty. If an individual wanted a lighter recoil rifle for whitetail, I would avoid the use of the minimum margin of choice in preference of a .24-.25-.26 caliber rifle that would provide more power, greater assurance of a quick kill.

Comment

They used to play the how big of a gun should I use game, now it seems people are playing the how small of a gun can I get away with game.

I don't like it.

I don't even like .243 for deer, but I might be willing to try it. .25 and up for me.

Comment

Anything less than .240 is illegal in Wyoming for big game. However I have seen hunters easily kill whitetails in Mississippi using a .223 while being careful to put the shot where it is needed.
                            Years ago I witnessed a guy killing a spike bull elk with one 52 gr Hornady from a .22-.250 at about 75 yards. It dropped like it was hit by a .300 Weatherby.

Comment

as others have noted here...simply two words---bullet placement. i've taken antelope with a .22-.250 so an average doe certainly wouldn't be much of an issue.
                              to shane-check the numbers between a 25.06, 6 mm, and a .243. you won't find a nickels worth of difference.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad