Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When i take my venison trimmings in to be ground up my butcher shop adds 1/3 pork. The idea is that venison is so lean you need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When i take my venison trimmings in to be ground up my butcher shop adds 1/3 pork. The idea is that venison is so lean you need

When i take my venison trimmings in to be ground up my butcher shop adds 1/3 pork. The idea is that venison is so lean you need some fattier meat in there to get it to stay together when you cook it. Do any of you have beef added? Or pork in a different ratio? Or do you not add anything?

no i have never gotten that added

Comment

no i have never gotten that added

Comment

I have 25% of beef talo added to my burger.

Comment

Your butcher shop is doing you a favor. You can do it yourself but do it before frozen. Venison is lean, a little fat is what Americans like, but being lean is what makes wild game better for humans health. Something the PETA people won't discuss.

Comment

Oh I know adding something to the hamburger is a good thing, I just want your opinions on which is better, beef or pork and at what ratio, and why it is better, i have heard that either beef or pork will freeze better and last longer (but i don't remember which.)

Comment

I don't have the processor put any fat in my deer. It tastes great and you can still make anything with it.

Comment

i usually dont grind any of my meat.

Comment

Not anymore. I don't like the extra fat in my chili. Probably best for burgers, but can add that later.

Comment

yeah our processor does pork, we usually go 50/50 though. And your right it does help it stay together.

Comment

I do my own and I go roughly 75-25 with the pork. I have never used beef so I may try it next year.

Comment

My cousin gets half hamburger cause thats the only way his wife will eat it

Comment

1 part pork 4 parts sausage

Comment

I grind my own and I don't add anything because I mostly use it for tacos, chili, and sloppy joes, but the way I grind it, it will not make a patty and stay together. You can add bread crumbs and an egg if you want burgers, or just add the fat when you grind it. In that instance, I would use pork. How can you go wrong with pork fat?

Comment

I tried it last year and had the butcher add pork fat to half and ground beef to the other half. I think that it actually takes flavor away. I won't have it added again. Never had any problems making or cooking anything when fat or ground beef wasn't added, so from now on it will be just deer meat. But everyones tastes are different so dont let me discourage you, you should try it for yourself.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad