Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When field dressing deer, do you think it is necessary to split the pelvis bone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When field dressing deer, do you think it is necessary to split the pelvis bone?

When field dressing deer, do you think it is necessary to split the pelvis bone?

I have never done it and see no reason to, but that's just me. In fact I don't even know what the

Comment

sorry, reason is for doing it.

Comment

If you want to remove the intestinal track and wash out the deer then I suggest you split the pelvis. I've done it both ways and prefer to split the pelvis.

I suppose if you are not deboning your deer you could leave it intact and let the butcher shop worry about it.

Comment

I meant tract not track.

Comment

We have always done this because it makes it easier to drain the blood and intestines and get meat out later.

Comment

I see no reason for it, we have never had a problem debutting a deer of letting it drain with the pelvis bone intact.

Comment

Oh yes, that's the only way to properly remove all the intestines and all that goes with it. Any knife somewhat sharp will do the job.

Comment

I don't - just cut the anus out with a knife and pull it through. Another hunter split the pelvis on a deer I had just finished dressing. I looked at him quizzically and he said separating the hips helps it to cool. Probably. I just don't bother dulling my knife.

Comment

i dont do it when i field dress one.

Comment

Out of all the deer I've shot I've only split one pelvis, it makes it a lot easier to take out the intestines but its definately not neccesary

Comment

I've always split it, just makes it alittle easier.

Comment

No there is no reason to do it if you have a knife with a blade that is over 3-4 inches long you can easily gu the anus and pull it out run a hose back through it and your done.

Comment

I do it both ways. I like splitting the pelvic bone because it looks like a cleaner job but I do not like carrying a tool around to split it.

Comment

Yes if you want to bone out your deer, and just pack it back to camp.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hunting pants?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I usually wear a loose fitting pair of fairly heavy camo pants and a camo shirt for the season from short sleeve cotton to heavy wool. If it gets colder,...
                                Today, 01:13 AM
                              • Hunting pants?
                                by fitch270
                                This one came to mind as I replied to PigHunter's thread up top about "What's on your belt?". I started drifting but decided it might be worth...
                                Yesterday, 10:22 PM
                              • Reply to What's on your belt?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I always have the knife, sometimes the old Ruger Single Six. ...
                                Today, 01:05 AM
                              • What's on your belt?
                                by PigHunter
                                What are you carrying on your belt this season? Here's what I had yesterday for my solo hunt on public land.

Knife - discontinued Browning...
                                Yesterday, 06:03 PM
                              • Reply to Voter Fraud
                                by jhjimbo
                                I think Trump lawyers are having a hard time getting to SCOTUS because the courts are asking for evidence and detail that no longer exists and want more...
                                Today, 12:59 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X