Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When field dressing deer, do you think it is necessary to split the pelvis bone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    I don't do it personally!!!

Leave a comment:

• ddeering
    replied
    No need to split that thick pelvis bone, just use a BUTT OUT tool.....I used one last week on Michigans season opener on the doe season. Outstanding invention.

Leave a comment:

• CavRecon
    replied
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Mark w
    replied
    I've never done it. My father was a surgeon and he taught me to dismember a deer with nothing but a small knife. Of all my friends that I've taught to skin and clean a deer over the years they all say they can't belive how easy it is the way I disect the animal.
    Its very easy to take the legs off from the pelvis without having to cut or split it.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    It is not nesacary take your knife work your way around the ball joint on the hind quarters and you can have the same effect. The only way that I know of is to either hammer your knife through (bad on knife) or to saw it and get bone fragments in a blace that is usually the best steak producing area of the deer. Just cut the joints its just as quick with less mess.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    I usually have to split the pelvis so we can quarter the animal to properly load it on a pack horse. Everytime I have tried to simply place the gutted deer on a horse in one piece it seems that I can never get it tied on and balanced enough that it will stay put for very long. Otherwise you certainly can manage with a long blade knife so as to get by without the trouble of splitting.

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    I always split the pelvis. It's not very hard and makes it a lot easier to hang the deer to dry.

Leave a comment:

• buck hunter 17
    replied
    When we get back to the house then we do and spray it out with just hot water and then hang it up.

Leave a comment:

• wallofsam
    replied
    It's definately a personal preference, sometimes I do it and other times I don't. But it isn't neccesary.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    No.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    i always split it. i have a small folding saw that works well.

Leave a comment:

• buckeye
    replied
    Sometimes I do some times I don't. I do think it makes things a little easier.

Leave a comment:

• Christian Emter
    replied
    Yes if you want to bone out your deer, and just pack it back to camp.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    I do it both ways. I like splitting the pelvic bone because it looks like a cleaner job but I do not like carrying a tool around to split it.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    No there is no reason to do it if you have a knife with a blade that is over 3-4 inches long you can easily gu the anus and pull it out run a hose back through it and your done.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad