Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I kill a deer I dress it and hang it. I know some hunters who still cling to the old thought that you MUST slit the throat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was tought that you had to do it that way. One day I was doing it by myself and thought why can't I just gut and hang it then wash it out. It turned out the same.

Comment

It seems to me that it doesn't do a lot of good to slit the deers throat if it's already dead. It would only be really affective if the deers heart was still pumping. Once the deers heart stops pumping the blood doesn't run through the major veins or arteries any more. I know the Indians would slit the deers throat after shooting them with a bow and arrow but again the deer was often still alive when they did this. My dad has killed goats by slitting their throats. This is probably the best way to get most of the blood out. I could be wrong though, tell me if I am.

Comment

slitting the throat comes from the slaughter house when they kill the animal by hanging it from its back legs while still alive and slice its throat to bleed it out. Obviously that will not work with an already dead and dressed animal.

Comment

If you have KILLED the deer, the heart is no longer pumping. Therefore the deer is not going to "bleed". Unless hanging head down so gravity will pull the blood towards the slit throat. I personally think it is a useless move. He ain't gonna get no deader.

Comment

I don't. I just hang it if I'm at home, or if I am out in the field I just point it downhill so it bleeds out better.

Comment

I never slit the throat it bleeds enough when field dressed and angled properly, plus that only works when the heart is still beating to pump out the blood.

Comment

Mine usually bleed out as a result of the double lung hit. I drain the body cavity after dressing.

Comment

If the heart is not pumping slitting the throat accomplishes nothing but creating another opening into wich bacteria can enter the carcass. An animal shot in the heart lung area will bleed out into the chest cavity normally and does not require exsanguination.

Field dress as quickly as possible to begin the cooling process and slow the action of enzymes in body tissues and the production of waste by products in the cells then get it to the cooler and you will have quality meat.

Comment

we dont and it works the same if we do slit the throught

Comment

I never have. It sounds like a good idea though.

Comment

When I first heard this, I thought it was a great idea, but apparently I was wrong. I forgot that by the time you want to bleed out the deer, its heart is obviously not beating, therefore, no blood is pumping through the body. Slitting the throat will produce some blood, but nothing that would cause a dramatic decrease in weight.

Comment

I agree with most all comments here. As I said, I gut and hang, but I'm telling you there are some old timers out there that will tell you different!

Comment

I don't do it at all!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad