Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anybody elses DNR as screwed up as Michigans? I know Wisconsins was bad for a while, then they got rid of thier director and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anybody elses DNR as screwed up as Michigans? I know Wisconsins was bad for a while, then they got rid of thier director and

Is anybody elses DNR as screwed up as Michigans? I know Wisconsins was bad for a while, then they got rid of thier director and then Michigan picked him up for a while before they realized it made things even worse. I don't hear any horror stories from any other states.

Well my nieghbor...Wisconsins is still all messed up! I think alot of these people in the DNR got thier degrees in the bottom of Cracker-Jack boxes!

Comment

Our DNR in Wisconsin is under the thumb of farmers and insurance companies. Neither group wants deer around, farmers are concerned about crop damage and insurance companies about deer vehicle crashes. The problem is that they also have biologists on their side too, there are more deer than the natural environment can handle but it is still less than I like to see while I am out hunting. Oh well, i guess i will just have to not fill all those tags they give me.

Comment

In Georgia the Game Management and fisheries sections are managed under a DNR which has a great many concerns including environmental protection and water resources management. We have alsways had a director that had at least a passing interest in hunting and fishing. We have now appointed a gentlemean who's background is environmental protection.

In response to budget cuts and redirections ordered by our Governor one of the first reactions was to slash Game mgt and Fisheries budgets including letting go of the WMA's on Forest Service Lands and the personel who were attached to them. There is still dabate in the legislature but we sportsman will probably loose.

Comment

I think the CO DOW does a pretty good job. My complaint would be that the hunting regulations, especially for large game is getting rather complicated. I read a stat that most of the thousands of calls they get each year are hunters try to sort through all the hunt codes when filing their applications for lottery licenses.

Comment

Why do you consider Michigan's DNR screwed up?

Comment

I think it's fine too.

Comment

In Illinois, its been hell ever since Blago was first in office...

Comment

I have to agree with Alex; Rod Blasonofabitch replaced Brent Manning who held a widlife degree with one of his cronies from Chicago who had absolutely no wildlife training and was a non-hunter and non-fisherman. Our new governor Pat Quinn has replaced this bafoon with a person who has a wildlife biology experience.

Comment

by the way Illinois and Wisconsin are the only 2 states that do no have right to carry so I think in general the 2 states are anti-gun.

Comment

To MLH- I guess my real issue with the DNR is strictly with the deer herd. The DNR does not mangage it worth a damn. The doe to buck ratio is way out of wack, but instead of having the early seasons (such as the youth hunt and others) take a doe only, the let hunters take bucks, mostly 1 1/2yr olds, and it further increases the difference in the ratio. Then they have the extended doe hunt where most of the does are already breed by dominate bucks, and were shooting them. Makes no sence to me, it's all about money from the licenses and kickbacks from the Insurance Co.s.

Comment

You said it wallosfm michigans DNR is screwed, up they got to much power( at least they think that)

Comment

I have no problem with Ohio's DNR, and I agree with s-kry about CO DOW those forms can be a pain but they seem to be doing a good job out there.

Comment

I do have to agree with the doe to buck ratio. But that is one of the reasons there are so many doe licenses available per person in certain counties. Some people complain that the doe licenses reduce the herd too much. One problem I see is that in some high exposure counties, the deer density might be heavy in certain areas but light in others. Have to manage it at some level though, with limited resources that are getting tighter.

There are also culling permits allowing farmers to reduce their herd in the off season.

Insurance company kickbacks? First time I've heard that. Sounds illegal to me.

Why not invite one of the state biologists to lunch one day and have a personal chat? But I'd look over the data available on their website first to get an idea of where they are coming from.

Comment

MLH- You make a good point about the over density in some parts and light in others. This is very true and kind of relates to the phesant population where I'm at also. The DNR has a late season phesant hunt in Lapeer and Tuscola Counties....why? there are no phesants around anymore. I think they do a survey/drive around and see a couple of birds in a cut cornfield (in the dead of winter) and automatically think that they are everywhere like that. My friends and I don't even hunt the phesants anymore, with the hope of maybe they will bounce back. And if someone sees one, everybody gets excited because it's so far and few between. Maybe I will try to contact one of the biologists and see where it goes from there. Thanks

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad