Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

severl times this has happend to me i'm unning late its dark but just light enough i can see 5 or 6 deer they haven't seen me ye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• severl times this has happend to me i'm unning late its dark but just light enough i can see 5 or 6 deer they haven't seen me ye

severl times this has happend to me i'm unning late its dark but just light enough i can see 5 or 6 deer they haven't seen me yet there 80 to 100 yards away what do u do?

I'm guessing you're using a weapon that doesn't have that type of rang, so all you can basically do is wait, I guess you could try sneak-up, but you would most likely spook them.

Comment

i'd take cover and be still until it gets light, Then decide what is the best approach, if any. If rifle hunting, or even shotgunning with slugs, you're in range. If bowhunting you can try to call them to you, or just sit and wait, maybe they come your way. A stalk may be difficult with that many eyes, but if the wind is right and there's cover it's possible.

Comment

What did you do the several times it happened? What were the results? Could this be why you aren't seeing any bucks? Absolutely, if you've spooked them a few times. Is there an alternate route to your stand where spooking them is less likely?

Comment

If its during legal hours go for the shot if your using a rifle. If your useing a bow just wait a bit and see if they come your way or try and make a stalk.

Comment

I'd sit tight and wait. You may not get a shot, but if you don't spook them into the next county, they'll ease off and probably return to the area at some point. Wind is your enemy in this situation. Get low and stay down.

Comment

At night wait for them to leave before you do, so you dont scare them away. You could be there a while though.

Comment

I would wait for a better shot. Because assume that you hit it and it goes running. You probably won't find a blood trail because it is too dark. I had to pass a a nice 2 point buck that way.

Comment

I've found deer will patern your behavior and will adjust there movement to avoid you.

Comment

i would come back in the morning

Comment

If I woke up late, i would go back to bed! All it takes is 1 time for a big buck to see you and change his pattern completely. Those deer will be there tommorow, it's not worth messing up what could be your 1 chance at a monster buck. If you can't go back to sleep, try scouting the rest of the morning from the road. I know this from experience. Drive around and see what the deer are feeding on, most of the time they hit the fields that they know are going to be picked soon or when they taste the best( like alfalfa or soybeans or maybe in the woods on acorn flats)

Comment

It depends if it was morning dark or evening dark.

If it was morning dark, and the sun was about to come up, I would back track the way I came in, and try to get inbetween their bedding area and the last place I saw them, with the wind in my favor.

If it's evening dark, I would be waiting in the same spot the next evening,but getting there a lot earlier, waiting on them to arrive.

I may even put the "sneaky stalk" on 'em, if it's still legal shootin' time!

Comment

Wait, and see if they come your way in 15 minutes or so. If not, take the shot with arifle or shotgun or rifle. With a bow, I would sit still if there was much wind. If no wind (or a favorable one), I would try to make the stalk. It all depends on if it's getting lighter or darker, so take that into consideration also.

Comment

Also, 5 or 6 pairs of eyes is very hard to avoid. So go slow and low.

Comment

At 80 to 100 yards I would take a shot if I had a clear one. But if not or if I have my bow I would either back out and set up the next day earlier, or I would back out and try to evaluate their travel direction and setup so I can cut them off.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad