Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there any air rifle for deer hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are many responses showing that people may not know exactly how a projectile kills.
    1) A high powered rifle bullet is light, tiny, slim and aerodynamic for the highest speed. Firearms have been optimized mostly for killing people so it has to go fast enough to surprise your enemy before they shoot back at you. Such a tiny projectile has to be going really fast so it liquefies tissue and causes damage in a large radius around it's path through the animal, causing organ failure.
    2) Broadheads kill by making several cuts in a large radius (1-3 inches) around the path of the arrow. This leads to extreme blood loss and organ failure. You can debate how ethical this is elsewhere but people have been hunting this way for over ten thousand years. It only takes a 40lb recurve for a COMPLETE pass-through. Deer hunting laws usually set a minimum of 40-45 lbs. If it hits the proper place, using a heavier arrow going faster does nothing to speed the kill. If it hits the wrong place an 80lb bow shooting 350ft/sec will fail. A 500 grain arrow at 160ft/sec (typical recurve hunting arrow mass and speed) has 28 ft-lbs of kinetic energy, it doesn't need to have 2000 ft-lbs like the rifle bullet because there are razor sharp cutting edges doing the damage. The fact that bow hunters need about 70 times less energy to do the same job may be unsettling to rifle hunters. But before you voice your opinion ask an expert or go try it for yourself and see that bows can kill as fast or faster (within its intended range of course).
    3) Big bore airguns shoot a large caliber slug at medium speeds (relative to a 308 cartridge and arrow). The soft lead slug is basically a pre-expanded bullet that expands more on impact. There are many big bore airguns than can far exceed the minimum tissue damage necessary to kill a deer just as quick as a 308. Any PCP airgun like the Sam Yang can be tuned to a higher power by increasing the hammer spring weight.

Comment

Originally posted by santa View Post
      The world record pump chunkin is held by an air gun. Air guns work off expanding compressed gas pushing an object (bullit/pellet/pumpkin/bowling ball,etc.). A bullit propelled by gun powder is is still being pushed by VERY rapidly expanding gas. What we need to know from firstdeer is the reason for asking the question in the first place. Is it from curiosity that it could be possible, yes. Is it because someone has restricted them to only using air guns? Maybe to set a world record? Or maybe to get us in an answering mood. Whatever the reason, you cannot learn without asking questions. You can also never be too young to learn or for that matter too old to learn either.
      Is there rifle for deer hunting? YES! There are a few states that do allow deer hunting with air rifles. Each have their own regulations and you should check with the state you wish to hunt in. For example, Missouri requires a PCP of 40 caliber or greater. While Alabama requires a 30 caliber. And anyone that thinks modern day air rifles are toys and posting such nonsense should study up on the subject before they talk about it. While big bore air rifles are not the best choice for long-range deer hunting. You need to be within proper range and shot placement is critical. I personally have taken hogs with an air rifle. And any air rifle that will drop a hog with one shot will more than adequately take a deer. Think about it, people, we are not talking a bout Red Rider BB guns.

Comment

Originally posted by ohiodeerhunter View Post
        okay,they make air rifles that are supposed to be for big game,the suggestion in the first post is use 180 grain bullet at 700 feet per second.
        I do not think that there would be enough foot pounds of energy from that to humanely kill a deer.
        It might kill a coyote,or other small/medium sized game.
        Arrows at 300 feet per second kill deer because they have more weight,and more foot pounds of energy.
        Even though they make air rifles for big game,I don't think they should be used,technically,you could kill a deer with a slinshot,but should you try? No.
        A 180 grain bullet at 700 ft./s is 195 foot-pounds of energy.
        A 500 grain arrow at 300 ft./s is is 100 foot-pounds of energy.
        Where do you get your math?

Comment

Is there rifle for deer hunting? YES! There are a few states that do allow deer hunting with air rifles. Each have their own regulations and you should check with the state you wish to hunt in. For example, Missouri requires a PCP of 40 caliber or greater. While Alabama requires a 30 caliber. And anyone that thinks modern day air rifles are toys and posting such nonsense should study up on the subject before they talk about it. While big bore air rifles are not the best choice for long-range deer hunting. You need to be within proper range and shot placement is critical. I personally have taken hogs with an air rifle. And any air rifle that will drop a hog with one shot will more than adequately take a deer. Think about it, people, we are not talking a bout Red Rider BB guns. I have seen hunters using high by rifles flubbing shots and doing terrible things to deer. So it is on the Hunter to be proficient enough to use his tool properly. You tell me what is the sport and shooting a deer a half-mile away is far more challenging to get within 30 yards. Ask any bow hunter and not everyone is physically able to use a bow, so air rifles are a very good alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Bowers View Post
            I try to take these questions as I believe they are, from younger folk.

There's kids out there who are deprived, by our standards. Their family doesn't hunt, or they are too young for a more expensive rifle.

I give them credit for asking. Rather than go out and go deer hunting with a .22, they at least ask first.

But no, you can't do that. Whether or not it may or not be legal, the best you would probably do is poison the deer slowly by lodging a lead pellet under it's hide. It's not very ethical thinking.
            This is where I stand on this discussion. I am not a felon but i do have charges that prohibit me from use of a firearm. So I started looking into alternative gun hunting methods that were still leaguel for me to use. For those of you that are sckeptical about hunting with a Air Rifle watch this video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx2u2cqCoK4 you will be amazed at the results that can be produced from a air powered bullet. This is not the only video on youtube that pertains to this type of hunting. I also think that not everyone that has criminal charges for one reason or another were properly found guilty and sometimes the repercussions of the charge is more than the specific crime should deem all because of someone elses actions with a similar nature in offence.

Comment

Originally posted by ohiodeerhunter View Post
              okay,they make air rifles that are supposed to be for big game,the suggestion in the first post is use 180 grain bullet at 700 feet per second.
              I do not think that there would be enough foot pounds of energy from that to humanely kill a deer.
              It might kill a coyote,or other small/medium sized game.
              Arrows at 300 feet per second kill deer because they have more weight,and more foot pounds of energy.
              Even though they make air rifles for big game,I don't think they should be used,technically,you could kill a deer with a slinshot,but should you try? No.
              Tissue damage is what matters, as long as the arrow has enough energy to get through a vital area, the large diameter cutting blades are what do the job. In many states the minimum draw weight for deer hunting is 40 lbs, which generates about 32 ft-lbs of KE. High energy for guns is needed to push the relatively blunt bullet through and expand, not so for a razor sharp broad-head. Having a high speed compound bow doesn't kill any better than a 40 lb recurve, IF the shot is right. Both will cause a complete arrow pass-through and do the same damage.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesti View Post
                very much against it.
                The question posted "is there any air rifle for deer hunting?" Jeff you and many others show you have a complete lack of knowledge on the subject. air rifles come in all shapes and sizes. From red rider BB guns that shoot bbs at a few hundred FPS to BIG bore airguns that shoot 50 caliber 250 grain rounds with numerous other round sizes in between. But you probably had no idea about that and apparently many on here did not either. The fact that so many replied with no knowledge on the topic with not even a pre simple google search is sad. Before people spout off such ignorance I recommend doing research. There are guys who have taken bison down with air guns. Even lewis and clark took a big bore air rifle along with them on their famous expedition over 200 years ago. big bore Air rifles have been used ethically to take big game longer than any of you have been alive.

Comment

very much against it.
                  tried to post it to jeffs not sure why it went under james.

Comment

very much against it.
                    tried to post it to jeffs not sure why it went under james.

Comment

I've read several responses here, and I've come to the conclusion that many of the people responding have very little actual experience with high powered air rifles and utilizing them for hunting. I have spent about 300 hrs just in research of all types of air rifles and became an avid user about 7years ago. The progression in capabilities since then has been incredible. I currently have acquired a variety of 6 different air rifles with 3 different methods of air propulsion(1 Co2,1breakbarrel Nitrogen Piston, 4 PCP) . First and foremost, if you are going to hunt large game, a PCP air rifle is a must. However, with today's technology it is not necessary to use a 45. or 50. caliber rifle. In fact, 357.(9mm) has become the primary choice for most hunters because of it's combination of power(fpe), speed(fps), multiple shot capability, and most importantly accuracy at great distance. The days of only getting 1 high powered shot and then having to refill and reload a pellet in the barrel are rapidly ending. While I have 4 PCP rifles, I prefer to use my Benjamin Bulldog for hunting Deer and feral Hogs. This rifle is a 357. and allows me 10 shots simply by cocking the lever to re-chamber the pellet(really the same as a bullet). It averages about 900 fps and almost 200fpe. I still believe in the philosophy of 1 shot 1 kill, but it's always nice to have a back up if your having an off day. I have taken down a 300 lb Deer at 70 yards no problem(deer took 2 steps and dropped). I have also shot numerous 200+ lb hogs out to about 85 yards. What people don't realize is that the accuracy of these air rifles is so much better than regular hunting rifles because there is no recoil. There's also minimal noise so you can get off more than one shot for multiple kills if needed. One of my other PCP rifles actually gets almost 50 shots before I have to refill the air chambers and it's also a 357 that averages 950fps per shot. Hopefully this info. helps you a little.

Comment

Plenty have replied to this question, so my own isn't really necessary, but I felt like adding my two cents to the equation.

Are air rifles available to hunters that can humanely take large game, such as Whitetail, etc.? Absolutely!

Heck, if you look around and do a little research, you'll find everything from mass produced big-bore rifles to some seriously amazing (and powerful) "niche guns" that can easily take VERY large game humanely. Ever seen someone shoot a 20mm, helium-powered rifle? Last time I checked, the designers had two different "pellets" specifically made for the rifle. The "small" pellet is around 1100 grains, and the "large" pellet is in the neighborhood of 1500 grains. They were closing in on 900-1000 fps velocities with the small pellet in their prototype rifle; it's been a while since I checked their progress, but who knows what they've been able to do since then. Anyways, there are a lot of options for hunting any type of game in the world of airguns now. From the well established and "traditional" methods, to exotic "air bows." (Basically an airgun that fires specially made "bolts" at speeds in excess of 400fps, which is faster than a crossbow. Crazy, right?

Anyways, do a bit of research on the subject, you might find yourself hooked.

Comment

I believe air rifles go up to .50cal and States like NY have a big game season allowing air rifles. Check their regulations.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to My fly casting suxs.
                            by Outlaw
                            I have no advice to offer, just here to commiserate. I bought a cheap fly rod this summer and practiced quite a bit. But I’m still getting tons of wind...
                            Today, 08:54 PM
                          • My fly casting suxs.
                            by RockySquirrel_2
                            Many years ago, i was pretty OK with a cheap walmart flyrod. Good enough to catch fish. I Gave it to my nephew and well i kind of drifted away from fly...
                            10-02-2019, 04:26 PM
                          • Reply to Snapshot
                            by fitch270
                            I’m taking enough for tips and hopefully meat processing, plus a bit extra just in case. I saw the type you bought OHH, but picked up a regular one...
                            Today, 08:52 PM
                          • Snapshot
                            by jhjimbo
                            What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                            I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                            Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                          • Reply to A very out of sync hunting season.
                            by Outlaw
                            This year has been going pretty well. Early duck season consisted of local woodies like usual and I’m starting to see birds moving in. The farmers had...
                            Today, 08:50 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X