Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there any air rifle for deer hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there any air rifle for deer hunting?

is there any air rifle for deer hunting?

Sam Yang Big Bore 44.
    Shoote a 180 grain bullet at 700 fps.

Comment

I would not use an air rifle for deer hunting. I feel that the animal would die eventually however it may take a day or two depending on the shot. You would not have a blood trail to fallow to recover it. The smallest gun that I would use for a deer would be a 223 or a 22-250. If your are going to hunt use a gun that can ethically kill the animal you are hunting. Air guns are for rabbits and smaller game not big game.

Comment

NO!!! Shooting a deer with an air rifle is like killing a pig with a club. You could, but why would you? It is much more humane to put a big bullet in them.

Comment

I have to agree with bat4bab and Panyfry101. Using an air rifle for deer in my state would also be illegal and I would guess that it is also illegal in most, if not all, of the other states

Comment

No, and people should stop trying to use the least fire power possible. Whether it's coyotes, turkey, deer, or anything else...why would you want to take the likely chance of just wounding or not recovering an animal by using a air rifle or .22 rather than going with a legal and ethical firearm? You owe it to the animal to hunt ethically.

Comment

NO!!!!!! In some states it's NOT-LEGAL. what's next dear hunting with a Blow Gun???

Comment

I try to take these questions as I believe they are, from younger folk.

There's kids out there who are deprived, by our standards. Their family doesn't hunt, or they are too young for a more expensive rifle.

I give them credit for asking. Rather than go out and go deer hunting with a .22, they at least ask first.

But no, you can't do that. Whether or not it may or not be legal, the best you would probably do is poison the deer slowly by lodging a lead pellet under it's hide. It's not very ethical thinking.

Comment

Very well said, Jeff4066. I don't think I'll try to add to that. +1

Comment

Great answer Jeff4066 and A + 1 for you sir...I think I'll stick to a regular rifles for hunting Deer..I do like an airgun for plinking at targets but other than that my son shot a whole bunch of birds when he's out there in the open field!!!

Comment

After Jeff4066I can think of nothing to add. +1 for you.

Comment

Edited

Comment

very much against it.

Comment

Just to answer, people build air guns big enough to shoot frozen chickens at airplane windshields. Are they practical? Well if you need to shoot an airplane with a frozen chicken, I guess so. Should you consider shooting deer with one? Well please just use common sense. I like to think that we have advanced past the age where we had to throw sharpe sticks at dinosaurs, but not enough to hunt rabbits with computer controlled unmaned aircraft armed with lazer guided rockets.

Comment

not to go against the grain here but the answer is yes they do make a airgun capable of effectively killing a deer.bigbore airguns have been in production for some time,in many calibers.just because it doesnt use gunpowder as a propellant does not make it any less efficient.lewis and clark used air rifles as they traveled west many years ago.if that doesnt give you a hint as to the years of development that have went into them i dont know what to tell you.they are expensive.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
                                by 99explorer
                                Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
                                When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
                                Today, 07:29 PM
                              • Give them all they need ...
                                by jhjimbo
                                I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
                                10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
                              • Reply to Snapshot
                                by FirstBubba
                                Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
                                I've never carried over about $1500.
                                Today, 07:27 PM
                              • Snapshot
                                by jhjimbo
                                What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                                I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                                Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                              • Reply to Snapshot
                                by PigHunter
                                "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
                                Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X