Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do you let your deer cure before processing? Here in Michigan, it's usually cold enough for me to let it hang at least

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do you let your deer cure before processing? Here in Michigan, it's usually cold enough for me to let it hang at least

How long do you let your deer cure before processing? Here in Michigan, it's usually cold enough for me to let it hang at least a week, which is my prefernce!

I get it to the processor within a day, if possible. When bowhunting, it is sometimes too warm to let it hang. When it is cold and I am camping I don't want it to freeze. Processor typically only lets it hang for a day at the most. I am not convinced that curing helps the taste of the meat. I have been told that hanging them asap by gambrels rather than the head to help drain the blood from the prime meat matters more.

Comment

We hung ours for a day or so depending on the weather. My uncle does the proccessing so it is quick and easy.

Comment

I ahng mine in the cooler for 5-7 days with the hide on, then skin and butcher.

Comment

If its below 40 degrees average temp, i'll leave it hang a few days, but i peel the tenderloins out and eat them right away, fresh.

Comment

I live in Michigan also. I do the same as you and beekeeper.

Comment

if the temps allow, like others posting here, i like at least seven days and i too leave the hide on until i'm read to butcher.

Comment

if its cold you should be able to let it sit for a while

Comment

in maine we keep the deer out for about 5 days if there aren't no flies out and its below 45. If it isn't we bring it in within a day or to

Comment

Usually 3 to 5 days if it's cold enough.

Comment

Agreed with MLH answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad