Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i've been for hunting three years and i have shot 4 deer 3 does ad one butten buck and this whole time i've seen three bucks al

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i've been for hunting three years and i have shot 4 deer 3 does ad one butten buck and this whole time i've seen three bucks al

i've been for hunting three years and i have shot 4 deer 3 does ad one butten buck and this whole time i've seen three bucks all out of range and just brefliy what am i doing wrong? p.s i don't mind shooting does there all trofies to me

We need more information about where you hunt how you hunt, when you hunt, your preparation, etc. before we could tell you what if anything you are doing wrong. Where you hunt and when you hunt have a great impact on the numbers of bucks you may see.

Comment

Beekeepers right, there is alot we don't know about your set-up. The only thing I would suggest right now is to scout hard, without being seen, prior to season to find out where these bucks are coming from. A game camera is good for this. Are all these bucks coming from and going to the same spot? If so maybe you need to set up off of this runway. In my own experience, I try not to hunt the same stand more than 2 days in a row. I think your scent hovers around even after your gone in some way shape or form. Maybe they see you going in to your stand? There are a lot of factors that could be sessing you up.

Comment

agree with beekeeper. You might have to put a stalk on it. And I'm glad to hear that you are willing to shoot does.

Comment

i am glad to hear you will shoot does. there are so many hunters that will only shoot bucks.

Comment

Actually, I think willkillsdeer needs more information, respectfully stated. Will, it sounds to me like you need to scout some more. All year, with a notebook, and you need to read your Field & Stream cover to cover, hitting all the how-to pieces for buck tactics. Know your area. Know the deer that are in your area before the season ever starts. Spend as much time in the area you hunt as possible. At any rate, persistence pays. It is usually a number of years before you get that first buck you can be proud of, and it sounds like you'll be coming due if you just persist.

Comment

Will, it is possible you are doing nothing wrong and the doe to buck ratio where you hunt is way off, so keep shooting 'em. Let the button bucks walk though. Maybe you are overhunting your spots, or hunting the wrong wind. Scout more in the offseason, now's the best time. Find bucksign and hang stands there. More than one stand so you have a few options. Most importantly hunt hard and long during the Rut. First 3 weeks in November most places. And minimize your scent. Good luck

Comment

Buy a trail cam. I didnt think I had any bucks until i got one. Then a couple months later I knew there was a LEAST 14 different bucks in and around my property.

Comment

i hunt in west MI on a two acre hay filed in a stand on the woods boadering it my tree stand is about ten yards to the side of a pretty good size deer trail i try to be out threr an hour or so before light thres pretty heavy hunting pr all around except imdeatly next door but the guys a tree hugger so tracking deer on his land is a no no

Comment

but i still kill deer no bucks seem to want to come near the field (the tree huger baits deer)

Comment

Move back about 70 or 80 yds off the field, or at least back off the trail so you're 20 0r 30 yds away.

Comment

Oh, and don't get down out of your stand too early. Often bucks cruise just inside the woods, midmorning, 9 or 10ish, checking the fields for does before going back to bed for the day.

Comment

All you guys had good answers, but you ALL forgot the most IMPORTANT THING, "SCENT CONTROL" Do you use any type of scent killer, cover scents, Hot Doe Scent. Any of these or combo. of all will help you I'm sure. Good Luck this year, and remember you can't eat horns!

Comment

If the tree hugger baits the deer, report him to the DNR. We can't bait here in Michigan and it sounds like he's doing it to purposly keep deer on his property.

Comment

Big O,
                              Isn't "minimize your scent" the same as "scent control"? Will, the bucks aren't avoiding that field, just avoiding it during daylight.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                                by franchi20
                                I've wondered about the guests on the Q&A site. I think it includes visitors the main page who never see the Q&A. It's an overall count of who...
                                Today, 07:40 PM
                              • Debate #2: new rules
                                by FirstBubba
                                New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                                The "Biden Campaign"!...
                                10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                              • Reply to What's after Trump?
                                by franchi20
                                Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                                Today, 07:34 PM
                              • What's after Trump?
                                by FirstBubba
                                No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                                There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                                Today, 01:46 PM
                              • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                                by fitch270
                                The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                                Today, 07:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X