Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long have you been hunting? Did you pick it up from your family or did it interest you personally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long have you been hunting? Did you pick it up from your family or did it interest you personally?

How long have you been hunting? Did you pick it up from your family or did it interest you personally?

I am an adult convert who's been hunting for 12 years now. My Grandpa Pete (whom I never met) was an avid deer hunter, but his son (my own father) was a rabid anti-hunter whose encounters with hunters left him convinced they were vain and bloodthirsty.

Much to my dad's chagrin, I just couldn't keep away from it, and felt drawn to hunting, basically a curious and irresistible urge. I took it up seriously when I was 20 years old.

Of course, it didn't hurt that I grew up on 2,000 acres of South Texas chaparral with plenty of deer when I decided I did want to hunt!

Comment

I started hunting small game as soon as possible. Did not start deer hunting until 2 years ago. But I went deer hunting with my dad when I was younger. I'm 16 now.

Comment

my dad hunted but now after my first year he ussauly just hunts the opener i geuss he likes farming beeter lol (i've been hunting three years and have shot 4 deer no bucks yet but i'm trying)

Comment

Been hunting for 2 years and absolutely love it. My whole family hunts. Grandfather, uncle, and dad. I cant get enough of it.

Comment

Started when I was about 13. Went with a buddy and his dad. Ever since then I was hooked.

Comment

I've been huntin' for 47 years. Started out rabbit huntin' with my step-dad, who I saw kill two rabbits seconds apart, with a double-barreled shot gun.
              Went squirrel huntin' with his squirrel dog,Ringo.

After he passed away, I started deer huntin' and now that's all I do now, maybe a little squirrel huntin' to get me in the woods to scout for deer ...

As my wife says,"I'm ate up with it!"

Comment

I started small game hunting with my Dad when I was 5. I will be 47 on my nxt birthday.

Comment

When your family is from the Green Mountains of VT, you don't not hunt.

Comment

Grew up fishing and hunting with a family that was big into the outdoors, so it was a natural fit for me.

Comment

Forty years on my own, my dad probably took me maybe 4 to 6 times when I was a kid. He always had something else to do which is probably why I always include my kid on every hunt.

Comment

Since i was four so 12 years on Monday when i turn 16. My dad took my brother and 2 sisters and i always wanted to go so my family got me into it.

Comment

I started when I was 12 and now I am 21, mostly small game at first then deer. Now I am a turkey fanatic.

Comment

I started going when I was big enough to walk. Started hunting when I was of legal age, 12. I am a fifth generation Idahoan, so hunting was and is a family tradition. Searched the geneology records, and my first ancestors landed with the Winthrop fleet in the 1630's, and I am sure they hunted, so I guess my bloodline has been chasing game around North America for close to 400 years. The 16th Native American in me has been at it for thousands before that, so I guess I have no choice but to hunt.

Comment

Two years. I got into by some people hunting the family land took me out.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad