Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if you saw a wounded deer say shot in the leg and u killed it and another hunter came along to claim it? what if it was a young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if you saw a wounded deer say shot in the leg and u killed it and another hunter came along to claim it? what if it was a young

if you saw a wounded deer say shot in the leg and u killed it and another hunter came along to claim it? what if it was a young hunter? would u just say "shoot straightr next time" what does the law say? (where u live)

Opening day of bow season on October 1st 2006 I had nice buck run and stop 48 yards out and I made a perfect lung shot just over the heart. When the buck ran over the hill about 100 yards out of sight, I heard what sounded like a screen door slamming. What the “H” was that, I packed up my stand and equipment and trailed my buck and found this fella was gutting my deer out. This crossbow hunter thought it was Christmas morning and said this is my first deer! I found his bolt and it was clean and I had the bloody arrow in my quiver. Do I ruin this new sportsman for life or do I do what I preach about promoting good Sportsmanship? Yes I agree with all of you and bylaw that was my deer! In Arkansas I’m allowed 4 deer pending the units I go to. I cheerfully complemented this new hunter on his first deer and counted the deer against my license.

To answer your question, yes I would let the kid have it. He did put the first bullet in and a kill is a kill no matter how long it takes for the animal to die!

Comment

I don't know exactly if there is any laws that would solve this problem. Most of the times I've seen deer like this no one is around to claim it. I would have to say if the initial wound wasn't life threatening to the deer its my deer, if it was finishing it off for someone else I would let them have it.

Comment

Not worth the fight!!

Comment

I'd say you wounded it, I killed it. But i'd let him have it.

Comment

I agree with Clay let them have it but it is hard to say what I would do. I hope I never have to experience this though.

Comment

I would let them have it. The way I look at it is, if they are going to track it then they must have shot it, and they are doing the right thing by trying to find it. I really don't care if the law says it's mine or not, I'm going to do the right thing.

Comment

I think the more important issue is to follow-up and make sure that the animal is down and someone is gutting it out to preserve the meat. After that, then argue about who's it is and who should tag it.

Comment

I'd give it to the kid, life is too short and there are too many whitetailes where I live.

Comment

I'd let kid have it. If he's looking for it he must of shot it. It's not worth fighting about or messin up a young kids hunting.

Comment

i would give it to him

Comment

Ethically i would give the kid the deer but the law says that its your deer if you are the one to kill it (this is in maine).

Comment

I'd give it to the kid. But if it was an adult, i'd point out his lousy shooting. Depends on the attitude and circumstance. Assuming the kid was respectful i'd let him have it and congratulate him.

Comment

In Will's situation, give the kid the deer.

In Clay's, punch the guy in the mouth. That's ridiculous. A guy like that doesn't deserve to be in the woods.

Comment

I would definately let a first time hunter have it. It does not matter how hard it would be (especially if it was a big buck), because we need more hunters in this nation. I dont know what the law says about it, but there will always be more deer (hopefully) but that one incident could ruin a first-time hunter's view of hunting forever and cause him never to go again.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad