Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've often wondered about this situation. Let's say I'm bow hunting a clear cut on a cloudy morning. I see a big buck coming m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree. Let him walk. Come back later he might still be in there.

Comment

Shoot and Pray

Comment

If he came in close enough and you were confident in you abilities I would take the shot.

Comment

I don't know. I can say for sure there is nothing worse than losing a deer only to find 24 hours later the coyotes found it. Terrible feeling. With that in my belt, I would not take the shot at the risk of losing another buck...

Comment

See if he gets really close b4 you take em.

Nate

Comment

I would do both, shoot and pray. I have enough confidence in my ability to put the "thump" in the vitals, and I know the land that I hunt really well.

Taking this into consideration, I would say your chances would be very good in your recovery of the deer!

Comment

Good question. Tough choice! I would probably pass him up and come back the next clear day.

Comment

Yes, Clay, I will be bow hunting a clear cut this coming fall. The land is extremely thick due to being clear cut about 8-10 years ago. I didn't do it this year because I never thought I'd see a deer in bow range. About the time I though that, I watched 2 does come within 20 yds during gun season.

Comment

Oh yeah, thanks to everyone that answered this question. I didn't expect this much response. You guys are great!

Comment

Good question jlfreeborn, Like many others, if your confident in you ability, take the shot, watch him as far as you can, wait about 30 mins. then mark the last spot you saw him. Get some buddys and start making grid searches, expanding 5 to 10 ft. each pass until you find him. I've faced this problem before, took the shot(Bow and gun) and recovered all 3 deer.One last thing, BE PAITENT go slow and look carefully. GOOD lUCK and shoot straight.

Comment

I would shoot and hope to [email protected]$% that he just drops and dosent fun that far if he dosent drop

Comment

Uhh, i would get good aim and just drop him.

Comment

let it walk because what happens if you don't get it you just killed something for nothing you cant eat it or mount it so whats the point of taking the risk

Comment

i mean what happens if you dont drop it KMB33

Comment

shoot and pray to find it

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad