Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've often wondered about this situation. Let's say I'm bow hunting a clear cut on a cloudy morning. I see a big buck coming m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've often wondered about this situation. Let's say I'm bow hunting a clear cut on a cloudy morning. I see a big buck coming m

I've often wondered about this situation. Let's say I'm bow hunting a clear cut on a cloudy morning. I see a big buck coming my way, about 60 yards out. It starts raining while I'm watching the buck continue my way. By the time he gets to within bow range, it's no longer a drizzle. What do I do? Do I let it walk because the blood trail will be washed away, or do I shoot and pray I find him?

I would let i walk, you have a chance of seeing him again, and if the blood trail does wash away and you don't get a good to great shot off, you could lose him forever. Also, game tracker string helps in that situation.

Comment

In that situation I would let him get real close and shoot him in the neck, if I new I could hit it in the middle of it.

Comment

depend who your talking to me i'm not really into bow hunting yet so id defiantly take the shot.

Comment

I personally would say take a good careful aim and let him have it. Just pay really close attention to where he goes after the shot and listen hard after you can't see it any more. a lot of times you can hear the animal turn or crash. Even if the blood gets washed away there should be enough tore up ground and broken brush to find them.

Comment

If you think you can get a good shot go for it. Just watch real close where he goes. But that could go either way.

Comment

Agreed. Take him. Just make your shot count, and listen for where he flops. Don't let rain ruin that kind of opportunity. With due diligence, you'll find him.

Comment

I would take the shot with careful aim and pay very close attention to where he goes.

Comment

Take the shot if all else is well.

Comment

I'd definitely take the shot if he offered a good opportunity.

Comment

Key phrase; bow hunting a clear cut? Wait and make that shot count with a good heart and lung shot!

Comment

I would take the shot. But then I use Rage 2 blade broadheads. Never had a deer make it more than 56 yards after a fatal hit with one. Most fell in sight.

Comment

I would take the shot, and would pay very close attention to where he went.

Comment

If he offered me a slam-dunk shot i'd take it. Watch where he goes, pick out landmarks, maybe take a compass bearing. As a bowhunter i only take slam-dunk shots, so i would be confident i could find him. Haven't had one go more than 50 yds.

Comment

If he gave the broadside at 30 yards (my personal limit for a bow shot)or less I would put one through the boiler room. I have had similar experiences as Del, deer hit through the vitals seldom run more than 50 to 75 yards.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X