Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you process your deer yourself, or take it to a processing place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you process your deer yourself, or take it to a processing place?

Do you process your deer yourself, or take it to a processing place?

We took it to a processing place because we heard about them and tried it out and they were UHMAZING and made very good jerky.
    But this year they had to shut down so we just went back to doing our own.
    Besides, it's a very good skill to learn.

Nate

Comment

I do all my own skinning and butchering, the only thing i take to the butcher shop is trimmings to have ground up because i don't have my own grinder.

Comment

both

Comment

Meat processing place, it's easier.

Comment

processing place

Comment

I live about 4 blocks from the center of the city; therefore I have to process. It would cause to much trouble to hang one in the backyard. I won't be worth the trouble. I field dress and the butcher does the rest.

Comment

both...depends on how much time I have...I prefer cutting my own steaks...

Comment

Processor. They cut it up into nice 1-lb packages and double wrap and mark each cut. $60-$80. Well worth the money. Plus the one I use deals with Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry (FHFH) so hunters can donate all or part of their meat to area food banks.

Comment

well, it figures the guy using a broncos logo would go to a processor. i butcher my own animals. the trimmings i take to the local meat processor and i watch them grind it and bring it back to me (great service)! i am always certain of how the animal is handled from the time i pull the trigger until i serve it on a platter. maximum quality control. also, a processor doesn't age the animals, they cut and wrap them as quickly as possible. i can let my venison age to enhance flavor and tenderness.

Comment

I process all my own deer, have for years. The biggest thing you have to realize is that deer fat (Tallow) is NOT like beef fat. Deer fat will give your meat a gamy (Tastes like s**t) taste, its nasty. Nothing I hate more than when someone offers me their "homemade" jerky with tallow all over it--YUCK! So if you do your own or pay for it just make sure all the white s**t is off the meat BEFORE you cook it.

Comment

Do it yourself, Why pay someone else to do something you can do yourself? seems to me like another excuse for americans to get lazy. We used to be self sufficient and now we are so dependent on foreign nations for so much. If China's money loaned to the US was converted into stock, they would own approximately 30% of America. And obama wants to borrow money from other countries to boost our economy...

Comment

My uncle did all of the processing.

Comment

processing place

Comment

agree 100% with both smith and williams above. game fat is horrible and needs to be trimmed off every morsel. it takes me about 4 hours to skin, butcher, cut and wrap a deer, so my labor is worth $20 an hour.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad