Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I currently bowhunt, but I think I will eventually buy a gun. Should I at some point in my hunting career buy a rifle or shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I currently bowhunt, but I think I will eventually buy a gun. Should I at some point in my hunting career buy a rifle or shotgun

I currently bowhunt, but I think I will eventually buy a gun. Should I at some point in my hunting career buy a rifle or shotgun? Also guns seem very complicated, what good books are out there to learn the basics?

I recomend the owners manuel that comes with the gun, they seem to have good, sometimes helpful info.

Comment

mdhager115
      Learn the basics? YOU BET!!!!
      The basics are the foundation of all and without the basics anything just crumbles down!
      I don’t know your location, if mule deer is the largest you plan to hunt a 25-06 will in fact do you just fine and if Elk is on your mind, a 30-06 will deliver and both cartridges you can find anywhere
      Out of the box, Remington rifles are my first choice and shotguns, pick one that fits you like a glove. What I like may not be your cup of tea. But the heat is on for all manufactures delivering quality one.

May be a pain enroll yourself in a Hunter Safety Course, you’ll be glad you did!!

Md? Is that your initials or for Doc?

Comment

Purchase a rifle, but before you do, get a friend to go with you who is knowledgeable. Read the manual until you understand it, as lovetohunt recommended.
        Ask questions as to what caliber best suits your needs, dollars to invest, and etc.

Also, take that knowledgeable gun hunter with you into the field, and join a Hunter's Education class near you if you already haven't.

Some states do not allow rifles to hunt. I hope yours isn't one of them ...let us know what you decide mdhager115!

Comment

i would go with a rifle.

Comment

well i guess it depends on whats legal where you hunt. i deer hunt in wisconsin, where only shotguns are legal. so to me, i prefer a shotgun because thats what i've always used, but i definitely know thats not everyone's opinion. but you asked, so i answered.

Comment

You need both.

Comment

if only big game, go with a rifle, but if you need one gun for deer, turkeys and whatever else, a shotgun is very versatile.

Comment

It depends on where you hunt, if you live in Ohio or some other states a rifle isn't going to do you any good deer hunting, but if you live in a state where it is legal I would go with a rifle. That being said I think you should have aleast one of each.

Comment

Those are my initials.

Comment

If you use a compound, you can already handle complicated.

And I would recommend that everyone everywhere buy as many rifles and shotguns they can afford. Whether you eventually use it to hunt or not doesn't matter as much. You'll love having them no matter what.

Comment

Guns are no more complicated than bows. If your not sure you know a mature person who is more interested in teaching than impressing you with his ability, then go to a range than is run by the state conservation dept. They have volunteers on the firing line eager to help YOU!

Comment

Get you a shotgun!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad