Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many of you have ever fallen out of a tree stand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many of you have ever fallen out of a tree stand.

how many of you have ever fallen out of a tree stand.

Knock on wood, I have not. I wear a safety harness, but have had some friends fall out of stands.

Comment

On a windy day i came close, so close that i said the hell with it, no deer is worth breaking my neck over and i got down and got the heck out of there.

Comment

This guy has but it was on the climb down so my harness was no longer attached to the tree. Luckily I landed on some soft ground and walked away unscathed except for a few minor cuts and bruises.

Comment

Never fell, but had a close one while using my climber. I leaned forward (towards the tree) too far and started sliding fast down the smoothbark tree. After dropping about 10 feet, i ended up with my weight on my heels, stopping the slide as rapidly as it started. didn't fall though. My seat was still at the top so i had to climb back up hugging the tree. Got blisters on my fingertips trying to self arrest i guess, scary, but I never actually fell. Tree was wet too, after a rain. Great time to hunt but not to use a climber. I always wear a harness except when climbing up and down

Comment

I once tried to tighten the foot platform of my climber on the fly because I realized I had not compensated quite enough for the narrower trunk 25 feet up. The cable popped out of the slot and swung out behind the tree. I sat and dangled in my mesh seat for about 10 minutes trying to figure out what to do. My calves started to burn from holding the platform up so I tried kicking the platform back into the tree and hoped that the cable would whip around and I could grab it. All that happened was that my feet about popped out of the climbing stirrups. I finally contorted myself enough to reach around the tree and get the cable and put it back in. My climber has sat in my garage since, and that was 2 years ago.

Comment

Its like riding a bike, climb back on that thing

Comment

It's a lot harder to kill yourself on a bike.

Comment

i have one day it was raining but i still hunted i was climbing into my stand when my glove slipped on a peg i fell bu two pegs down i caught my self my bow snagged on a tree limb went straight home

Comment

When I was 19 I was hunting out of one of the old Baker climbing stands, AKA the Baker Suicide Seat!
                    Had it fold up and send me on a downward plunge for about 15 feet. I was lucky that I landed on my head! Seriously if I hadn't been hunting in a river bottom and very soft sandy soil I could have been seriously hurt. I suffered a "jammed" neck and had a hard, dry twigg pierce my ear. My hunting buddy was scared to death because the ear bled like a stuckhog after I pulled the stick out. Makes one believe in a safety harness and quality equipment!

Comment

I have never fallen yet and hope to keep it that way. I always wear a safety harness (even while climbing up and down.)

Comment

I had a portable tree stand on my back, and my buddy was going to bump me some deer. I decided to hang my Loc-on, right after a rain and wait for the bump to begin.

I climbed up a tree that had a V-shape in it, about 4 feet off of the ground. Several screw-in steps later, I stepped onto the stand "without" my safety harness attached. Normally, I place my foot towards the front of the stand, so my weight forces it back against the tree. This time I placed my foot on the side, and shifted my weight,causing the stand to move away from me, and I fell into the V formation of the tree.

I was wedged between the V of the tree,four feet off of the ground, and my insides were hurting something fierce. I worked myself free,and laid on the ground to recover. I never get in a hurry or take things for granted.

SAFETY FIRST!

Comment

I haven't fallen, but I did have the bottom of my climber drop out from beneath me while I was hunting. The buckle that holds the strap that keeps the top and bottom together had failed. So there I was, sitting on the upper half with my feet dangling and 30 minutes into a morning hunt.

It took some creative application of my haul line to snag the bottom and pull it up.

Comment

Not me!

Comment

Not me!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad