Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody been in a dispute over who righfully harvested a deer? Whether it be on a deer drive or you shot it and it ran on so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody been in a dispute over who righfully harvested a deer? Whether it be on a deer drive or you shot it and it ran on so

Has anybody been in a dispute over who righfully harvested a deer? Whether it be on a deer drive or you shot it and it ran on someone elses property.

I never have but they are pretty common. Especially on drives. When a deer is shot by more than one person it gets touchy. Often guys within a hunting group will fight over it. Or a kid gets a deer stolen by an elder. I prefer hunting alone and away from other hunters. I do sometimes hunt close to property lines. Luckily the fall on the right side of the posters.

Comment

I know some outfitters in Wyoming who had problems with people claiming game taken by their clients. They started lobbying for a law that would make it a high degree misdemeanor to move contested game. It's tough though when you're miles from civilization. Interesting the problems we deal with in modern-day hunting, I bet this was a rare issue 30-40 years ago.

Comment

As a former Military Game Warden and avid outdoorsman, I’ve come across this allot. It’s not worth having your vehicle and equipment vandalized or getting shot over it. Try to get the license plate and every detail of the individual and let Law Enforcement deal with it.

Believe me, God does have a way of dealing with these kind of people!

Comment

I've had it only once about 20 years ago, and the game warden ruled in my favor. I shot the deer, followed the blood trail to a gutpile, then followed the drag marks to the guy hauling my deer to his house. I told him that it was my deer, he denied it, so I called the game warden and followed the guy to his house. When the game warden saw the tag, he thought it was the other fellows, but when he asked to see the guy's shotgun, the guy pumped out a live round, not an empty hull. Also on inspection the gun hadn't been fired, the barrel was still clean and coated with gun oil. After asking the fellow exactly how he shot the deer, the guy admitted that he walked up on the dead deer, saw it was a fresh kill, and decided to take it. So I was given the deer back, already field dressed, and the guy who took it a citation and court date.

Comment

I believe my grandpa quit deer hunting over a dispute where someone took his deer. Heard that story nearly 30 years ago, and it happened many years before i had heard it. What a shame. Me? I'dve handled it differently than grandpa i'm sure. Either way i'd look for a new spot after that. Had my trailcam stolen this year. Scumbags, cut the lock.

Comment

I was hunting with my brother and his in-laws when it happened to me. I shot the deer and a guy 200 yds away tried to claim it. There was alot of hollering and several choice words said, but he finally admitted that he didn't shoot it.
              I also had an uncle quit because someone else picked up his deer. The bad part about that one was that the guy/s that picked it up were friends of his.

Comment

I shot a nice buck once that ran about 300 yards and keeled over and died right up against this guys barn. The only problem was that I loss blood about 100yds prior to it keeling over. I quit hunting all together to and searched in circles for days and wandered the woods the rest of the season not hunting knowing this deer was dead. Ends up the guy who owns the barn found him several months later wedged between his barn and a piece of farm equipment. I must have walked past him several times. He refused to give me the rack but did let me score it. 176in gross. I never agrued with the guy. There are no written rules and he let me take pictures of it. I wish I had the rack but then again, if I had made a better shot I would have the rack.

Comment

I have never have one and hopefully I won't have it either in the future!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                    by jhjimbo
                    My Father and I built a 50'X50' pole barn to store his boat and a couple of friends boats over the winter. Just simple construction, we used 16 used...
                    Today, 04:18 PM
                  • 16 Years
                    by jhjimbo
                    So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                    08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                  • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                    by Amflyer
                    Aaaaaaaand...there goes Derek.
                    Today, 04:04 PM
                  • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                    by derek7
                    Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                    08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                  • Reply to Trump
                    by 99explorer
                    Trump is so desperate to screw up the election that he is willing and able to damage the U.S. Postal Service by withholding necessary funding.
                    He
                    Today, 03:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X