Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody ever touched a live, wild Whitetail in a hunting situation? I was standing on a very sharp ridge with a heavy gametrail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever touched a live, wild Whitetail in a hunting situation? I was standing on a very sharp ridge with a heavy gametrail

Anybody ever touched a live, wild Whitetail in a hunting situation? I was standing on a very sharp ridge with a heavy gametrail on it. A large doe came across the sidehill and doubled back up the trail towards me. I stepped a 8" tree for cover and she walked right past, stopping 18 inches away. Right in front of me. As she looked me up and down i reached out and gave her 3 soft pokes in the side. She reared up, sidestepped about 2 feet, snorted a few times and slowly walked up the trail. Looking back once. Anything like this ever happen to you?

One morning I was walking in carrying my climber and as I was moving through some relatively thick pines I jumped a herd. I could hear them crashing in front and behind me so I stepped back off the trail I was on and sat on the ground. About 15 minutes later it was just getting light enough to see without a light I heard something moving up behind me so I eased my 44 mag out and set it in my lap. The noise kept getting closer and closer and I admit I was a little nervous as it got right behind me and stopped. After about 30 seconds I heard it start moving again coming right at my six and when I was certain it was on top of me it stepped to my left to get around the tree I was leaning against. Turned out to be a yearling doe and she walked right beside me. When she got to where her back leg was about a foot from my left leg she stopped again looking straight ahead so I reached out and touched her leg with my finger. She took off for about 20 yards then stopped and looked around then walked off slowly. One of the wildest, neatest things that has ever happened to me in the woods.

Comment

I guess we're both lucky we didn'tget kicked. I agree it was very neat experience. My buddies at camp say she was molested.

Comment

Now that was an awesome experience by’ golly!

Comment

The closest i have came was actually to a spike elk. My buddy and I where riding dirtbikes down some logging roads. We went around a bend and the elk was running down the road! Scared the crap out of us! At the closest i was about two feet from him! The first thing my buddy said when we caught our breath was "did you see the size of package on him?" I guess when you can count the hairs that means your close!

Comment

I have never touched a deer, but I have had a squirrel run across my lap while sitting in a tree stand.

Comment

Yes! I was out ice fishing with some buddies when a little fawn ran right up to us. It stood there letting us pet it for about an hour. It was the craziest thing i ever saw.

Comment

I shot a buck one year that was running right towards me, I had to jump out of the way as he piled up into the exact spot where I was sitting. I came very close to being gouged by his 6x6 rack. I would not advise touching a wild animal that does not know you are there. It would be a good way to get yourself stomped. When startled wild animals are inclined to sudden violent acts, and they do not understand the words stop and no.

Comment

I almost had to kick or shoot one in the head to get it away from me. I was squirrel hunting, sitting against a sapling with a low branch drooping over my head. Heard a noise coming in , I raised my shotgun thinking I was going to shoot a squirrel on the ground. Two very large does came thru the brush with their noses to the ground and stopped at my boot. I kept the gun up with my cheek plastered to the stock. The lead doe kept trying to look around my gun barrel attempting to figure out what I was. Finally they moved off. I would have shot if needed, I've seen those youtube videos of deer kicking ass.

Comment

My brother was putting on a drive, a doe came out and up the fence line that I was standing next to. I was behind an evergreen tree and she walked by at about a foot, I thought what the heck and reached out and poked her in the side. She took off and didn't look back.

Comment

Twice I've been close enough to touch but never have.

However, early in my bowhunting career, around 1984, I shot a nice eight point. I watched it run off and die. I climbed down from my tree a few minutes later, pulled out my knife, grabbed the leg and spread him out to field dress him. Then I poked the knife right next to his important parts. He didn't like that too well and stood right up to the point I almost was riding him like a horse. I dived behind the closest tree.

I'll never do that again.

Comment

This past summer the White river where I live flooded over more than usual.
                        The river was flowing right across my uncle's cornfield that's right across th road from my house. That day, we must have seen a half dozen deer running across the road to the woods behind our house. Two of the deer that came out of the field were fawns without mothers. We watched them for a while before we realized that they were motherless and then tried to catch them to take them to a deer rescue farm in southern IN.after several attempts we finally caught them (they are very fast and very strong even when they are still only a few months old.) Unfortionately, we had to keep them penned-up for about a week before we could take them to an animal shelter. I have pictures of the deer that I will try to post some time in the next week.

Comment

When I was about ten, on one of my first hunting trips, my dad and I were sitting in the same elevated blind together. Being that it was one of my first hunting trips, I was very excited and wouldn't fall asleep. My dad did however. After about 2 hours, I looked up and saw a red-tailed hawk perched on my dad's rifle barrel. As soon as my dad woke up, the hawk flew away. That was one of the coolest experiences I have ever had while hunting.

Comment

Had a young fork horn whitetail stick his head inside of the ground blind I was sitting in. I had to assist him in getting his head back out once he got a more thorough assessment of the situation. He also blew snot all over me and the blind.

Comment

Idaho, You are right, I should've let her pass unmolested. I am lucky I didn't get stomped. She was tired, breathing heavy, looked like she'd been pushed all morning. Buckhunter, did you get that buck after it jumped up?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad