Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have a 25-06 and used it for whitetail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have a 25-06 and used it for whitetail?

Does anyone have a 25-06 and used it for whitetail?

Yes, the 25/06 is my favorite beanfield, clearcut, grainfield rifle. In my opinion the caliber is at its best when shots present themselves at 100 yards or more, although I have killed several dear at less than 50 with it. I shoot the 110 grain Nosler Accubond over the book accuracy load of Retumbo. I have never recoverd any of those bullets from the carcass of a deer, all pass throughs even quartering shots over 200 yards. I have never had a deer move more than 10 yards when hit with the 25/06, most simply fall in thier tracks. There is also a great variety of factory ammo available for the caliber. Some folks even use the 25/06 for Elk, it will do in a pinch, but I like a little more bullet weight when shooting an animal that size.

The 25/06 is also an excellent large predator (read coyote) rifle. The 85-87 grain bullets work very well for this purpose and shoot laser flat. It is a coyote's worst nightmare.

Comment

My 25-06 has been used from Jack Rabbits to Caribou and dropped them just as dead as with any other cartridge! If you can’t knock a whitetail down with a 25-06, pack up and go home, LOL!

My 9 year old Grandson Alex dropped a nice little buck at 250 yards and moments later dropped a doe at 150 using Hornady 117 grain soft point boat tails or was it 117 Hornady SST’s, they shoot the same point of impact!

Comment

One more thing

If you’re an extreme shooter like me, the 25-06 is definably one of the best choices and I’ll stack it up against the 257WSSM which is 100fps slower and twice the price!

Comment

I have now shot 5 whitetails with my Kimber from 100 to 205 yds. My load is 100 gr Barnes TSX and max load of H1000 (Hodgdon manual). It chronographs at 3250 fps and all the shots have been pass throughs.

Comment

My wife hunts with her 25-06 Tikka with reloads consisting of 54.1 gr RL 22 Hornady 117 gr BTSP and benchrest primers, it cronographs at 3150 fps, it shoots very flat but does not always exit. All shots have been one shot kills, one shot at a doe ranged at 389 yards, no exit and tracked her 60 yards (double lung shot). My encore with a diffent load will put them 5 shots in a small clover. Great for deer and pronghorn, feral hogs need to be shot in the ear or they will travel and not leave much blood trail.

Comment

First thing, Clay its a 25 WSSM not a 257.
              Secondly, yes more than adequate for anything in the lower 48 Moose excepted.
              Third Search rifle and look at the LONG detailed conversations we've had on this rifle for the last two months. From anything to Coyotes to Elk. It's a good round go with it.

Comment

Brad

25 or 257 whatever I wouldn’t own one anyhow! Now take the 30 WSM and neck it down to .257, I just might do it!

Comment

yes i have one. it works great. i shot my whitetail 200 yards.

Comment

My old Sako is one of my favorite rifles for almost anything with hair around here. Flat, fast, and fun.

Comment

I used a custom Mauser for 40+ yrs on praire dogs to elk. As Ishawoa says flat , fast , and fun.

Comment

Don't have one, but i want one! i will use it for deer at that time. No reason you shouldnt too

Comment

When I lived in the south the longest one shot kill I ever made on a whitetail was with my semi-custom Springfield in .25-'06 at, sounds like a lie, 257 yards. Unfortunately the deer had some sort of skin disease upon close examination, lots of bare spots with no hair, red and scaly, plus his belly hair was probably three inches long. My buds and I never knew what was wrong with him. He was a better than decent 4 x 4 mature buck with long brow tines.

Comment

My T-C Encore in 25-06 is hard to beat for either mule or whitetails. I use a Barnes 100 gr TSXBT MagPro powder--Federal match primer--Remington brass--at 3300 fps--none have made over 5 yds--all bullets are pass throughs--

Comment

almost a perfect round for deer, whitetail or otherwise

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by 99explorer
                                The latest rumors on the pandemic.
                                They have just discovered that drinking cow urine protects against COVID-19.
                                Who'd have thunk it?
                                Today, 10:38 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by 99explorer
                                I love it when I have these guys on the ropes, with each one hoping the other will bail them out.
                                Hey CRM, have you heard any good conspiracy theories
                                Today, 10:19 PM
                              • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I should have been in Africa yesterday. Damned coronavirus! ..."
                                Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; Today, 06:25 PM.
                                Today, 10:15 PM
                              • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by derek7
                                Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                                08-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X