Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone replace the shrink wrap on the cables for a summit treestand, or is it better to just get new cables? I wore the wra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone replace the shrink wrap on the cables for a summit treestand, or is it better to just get new cables? I wore the wra

Has anyone replace the shrink wrap on the cables for a summit treestand, or is it better to just get new cables? I wore the wrap off of mine in one season and the cables are still good, no rust or frayed wires. The only problem I have is that the bust wrap gets caught and it make it loud and hard to put on and take off the tree. And has anyone found a good way to minimize the wear on the shrink wrap?

I have had a Summit Open shot for 3 years and the cable wrap is only showing minor nicks and scratches. I use the same stand for archery and rifle and probably climb 2-3 dozen trees a year. Have you tried contacting Summit or the point of purchase?

Comment

If it were me i would just buy new cables. They shouldnt have come off that quickly, so buying new ones might make them last a little longer.

Comment

There is a wide and narrow side to the cables. After you get the new ones make sure it's the narrow part you are placing through the slot.

Comment

Thanks for the answer. I think I will just buy new ones. To let everyone know it is not a defective stand, I just use it alot. During the season from sept 15. to jan 1. I use my stand a min. of 6 times a week, so it gets alot of use.

Comment

I say to just get new cables from the Cabellas website.

Comment

The climber I bought several years back stated in the manual that the plastic coating would rub-off with use, and I've trimmed the "frayed" stuff off a couple of times to minimize hang-ups. Not sure how to minimize wear though.

Comment

Nope, I think you have to send it into Summit and I bet it's cheaper to just buy new ones from Cabellas. Mine are rapidly waering out too though.

Comment

You can often find replacement shrink wrap for Summit Stands on ebay for about $10.

Comment

I got the shrink wrap thru Cabelas a few years ago and my wrap job has lasted longer than the factories. I "baked" them in my BBQ grill.

Comment

Get you a new one instead and I know you be happy with it!!!

Comment

duct tape

Comment

Use 3/4", 3:1, clear, Polyolefin, non-adhesive shrink tubing. You'll need 10' or more depending on if you replace the whole length or just partial. Use an Exacto, razor blade or knife to remove the damaged section. Use a paint stripper heat gun to shrink the wrap. Clear allows you to inspect the cable easily. Don't paint the cable. Perform this repair at the end of the season, so the scent fades. Got my tubing on EBay for ~$20.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad