Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to start handgun hunting for Whitetails and probably hogs and black bear too. I am planning on purchasing a T/C Encore in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to start handgun hunting for Whitetails and probably hogs and black bear too. I am planning on purchasing a T/C Encore in

I want to start handgun hunting for Whitetails and probably hogs and black bear too. I am planning on purchasing a T/C Encore in .308 Win. but wondering about recoil and alternate caliber choices that might be a better choice. Thanks

harrison,
    Sounds like you already got it figured out. The .308 will do the job with moderate recoil. On deer use softpoints, on hog and bear sp's will do but maybe go to something like Nosler Partitions. If your really concerned about recoil think about the 7mm-08, and heavier bullets for bear.

Comment

Jim in Mo is right, 308 will do you a better job than a 7mm- 08 or 454 Casull without that massive recoil. I’ve fired an encore pistol with a 444 Marlin barrel with one of my 265 Hornady lever action loads and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I would chose 150 grain Nosler partition keeping your velocity up for trajectory for out to 200 yards or bitter, deeper penetration and more hydrostatic shock.

Comment

not bitter it's better, auto spell trust but varify!

Comment

.308 will do the job, but also think about a 30-06.

Comment

I should have added that T/C chambers that gun for .35 rem. I doubt you'll lose much velocity out of a short barrel since its a short fat case and mostly used in rifles with 18 1/2 - 20 inch barrels, and it hits with a thump keeping shots at moderate range.

Comment

Coop,
              Tell me what you thought about the accuracy of the Lever evolution load out of your gun. From my 35rem Marlin336 the accuracy didn't match the standard factory loads but velocity was increased as they said. I'm wondering if the micro groove rifling had an affect with the higher velocities?

Comment

Lever evolution load I've never tried but what I do know about bullets, it should do a fantastic job!

Comment

Ive shot an encore and they are very good pistols

Comment

I had a T/C Encore in .22-250. That is as far as I would go. It made a flash as big as a basketball and barked like thunder. Go no farther than.243. If you survive this without learning to flinch, you have indeed accomplished something..By the way, if you keep your eyes open until you see the flash, you will likely hit dead center, as these are highly accurate.

Comment

The .308 will do the job with moderate recoil!

Comment

The .308 will do the job with moderate recoil!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad