Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you consider the best slug gun for whitetails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the 835 because they have the "best" after market "stuff"

Comment

I agree with all those Remington fans, the 1100 and 870 are both very qualified for reliability, accuracy, and durability. Im not to big of a fan of the Mossbergs. If you can afford it Browning and Benelli make a pretty beefy shotgun.

Comment

my Remington 870 with its Mossberg fully rifled barrel has never let me down.

Comment

My first pump was a Mossberg 500 then like an idiot i sold it so 2 years ago i bought a remington 870 super mag combo because ive never owned a remmy and to be honest when i got home with it i wasnt impressed,it felt loose,and cheap i missed my mossy so i sold the remmy to get a Mossberg 500 combo and ive never been happier.Some people like Ithica some like Remingtons but i love a Mossberg.Thats why theres so many choices out there,theres always something for anyone and when it comes down to the remmy vs mossy think about this they both have the same people making the barrels.The remmy has a tight trigger and steel reciever which is stronger but heavier,and more prone to rust and debris while the mossy has a lighter aluminum reciever and mil-spec/looser trigger and will out perform the remmy in harsh conditions because of its construction thats why the U.S.armed forces buys more Mossberg than any other brand...

Comment

Remington 870 all the way!!!

Comment

Had a new Remington 870 wingmaster and it was the worst. It simply would not eject shells. Remington I was told sent out several thousand with bad ejectors in them and the dealers were trying to get a recall on them. I had it repaired but it still would gum up after three or for rounds. I have a Mossy 500 I bought just due to the cheap price. I got exactly what I paid for also a garbage shotgun. Ported cantiliver barrel is way to loud and the 1 in 36 twist rate is way to slow. The plastic safety broke first thing and had to be replaced so I not only replace it, but the plastic trigger assembly as well. The two parts cost me a total of $110 plus tax and shipping. The fore grips are way to lose and if you are not careful they will cause the slide bars to bend or they break the welds to the slide tube. And the Magazine tube is designed so that an extension is impossible to use. The finish is also inferior to any other shotgun I have owned. But like I said it was dirt cheap the combo was only $329 at Gander Mountain. Be thankful they come with a 10 year warranty you will need it. The Ithica I have is OK as shotguns go. However they are getting hard to find parts for the older ones. The Browning BPS is a fine shotgun if you don’t mind a gun that is prone to rust and made in Japan. The Pardoners’ are good except they are single shots and the pump versions made in Turkey are a cheap Remington 870 clone. Benelli makes a fine shotgun only they are ugly and overpriced. My vote for the best would have to be a Winchester 1300 or a 120 Ranger these shotguns are lightning fast due to the rotary bolt design. They are known as a speed pump because they are almost as fast as a semi automatic. The shotguns are durable I have had one for over 25 years and never has it been repaired. Clean it after the season and put it away. After 25 years it is rust free and could pass for an almost new shotgun. Even if they are not making it anymore they can be had fairly cheap and MGW carries all the extra barrels and chokes you would ever want. In my humble opinion there only flaw is that the checkered versions have a pressed checkering that is not all that desirable to me. All the shotguns out there are different and everyone has opinions. This is why they make Ford and Chevys and Dodge and Toyota because everyone wants something different. I am not cutting anyone for their choice only telling you mine and you could do far worse than a Winchester.

Comment

There is no question in my mind that the single best Slug Gud for deer is the H&R UltraSlug in 12 Ga. Over the years I have owned 5 different Designated Slug Guns (Mossberg 500, Remington 870, Savage 210F, Ithaca Deerslayer II, and the H&R UltraSlug). The H&R UltraSlug has been the most consistently accurate slug gun I have ever seen. I regularly hunt NJ, Delaware, and Maryland and over the years since I first bought my UltraSlug, I have taken 16 deer with it. My farthest shot was a ranged 123 yds in Maryland. Every one of those 16 deer were 1-shot kills and the farthest any have gone after the shot was about 10 feet. Once you find which sabot slug your H&R prefers, you will be the proud owner of a read tack-driver. I have a 3x9 Nikon SlugHunter (with the BDC Reticule) mounted on mine (recently replacing an older Nikon Scope). My UltraSlug prefers the 3" Federal Barnes Expander Hollow Point. This combination works best in my UltraSlug but every barrel on every gun might prefer something different. The only way to know for sure is to shoot a number of different sabot slugs and see for yourself. I feel that the 12 Ga. H&R UltraSlug is the most undervalued deer gun on the market today. I strongly advise that you avoid the 20 Ga. version however as I have known several guys who have had misfires with their 20 Ga. versions. I know of no one who has had that problem with the 12 Ga. version. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Comment

Thought I'd revive this thread since our opener is less than a week away here in SE Minnesota. We can only use shotguns with slugs in this area... or muzzleloaders... or handguns with rifle cartridges... but not rifles for some reason. Anyway, a few years ago, I bought a cantilevered rifled slug barrel for my Rem. Wingmaster and had been shooting some cheap sabots with not very good results but they were cheap and I took a few deer with them. This year I opened the wallet and bought some Rem. copper solids and some high velocity Winchester Supremes to see if they were worth the price and patterned better. The Copper Solids shot into one ragged hole at 50 yds. and about 2 inches at 100 yds. The high velocity Winchesters did a little worse but that could have been because of the unbelievably harsh recoil. The Rem. copper solids shot better and with much less recoil. They are pretty pricey but I just picked some up at Fleet Farm with a $5.00 rebate per box, so that brings them down to about $8.50 per box. Anyway, I was very surprised and very happy with the Rem. Copper solids and they're lead free if that becomes an issue.

Comment

If you can afford to spend $2,800 for the gun alone then I'd say TarHunt but if you can't spend that kind of money then the only real alternative for a really accurate slug gun would be the 12 Ga. H&R Ultraslug. I have used both at the range and as near as I can tell, they have almost identical accuracy at 100 yds. Both guns will shoot a single jagged hole from a sandbagged benchrest if the shooter can hold that well. I bought a 12 Ga. H&R Ultraslug with a Nikon Slughunter scope, a sling, and a limbsaver recoil pad for under $435.00 2 years ago. For a similar setup on a Tarhunt you would be looking at about $3,150.00. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I've taken two decent bucks with mine since getting it, including one at a ranged 145 yds. The combination I have is absolutely perfect for me. I have hunted from the same very plush tree stand for the last couple of years. The stand overlooks a back field on my uncles farm and it could be possible to get shots as far as 175 yds from my stand. The Ultraslug and Nikon can easily do that cranked up to 9 power and using the right aim-point on the BDS reticule. One suggestion though, if you are going to take shots beyond 75 yds, get and use a good rangefinder. I don't know about you but judging distance isn't a strong suit for me. Good luck this season guys.

Comment

I don't know about the heavy bull barrel version of the H&R slug gun. I owned a H&R ultralight slug gun model sb1s14 12 GA. This gun was cheap from the start Remington was where I returned 2 of them to as directed by H&R so Rem told me they had a hand in making this gun. Remington did give me a refund for full amount but I will never deal with H&R again or Remington. I returned the gun for lots of reasons #1 was only accurate with lightfield exp sabot slugs held maybe 2' group at 100 yards. #2 twist is to slow. #3 the scope rail is not drilled & tapped to barrel it is held on with solder or my guess glue. #4 that scope rail blew off the damn gun talk about a heart stopper. #5 hardest kicking gun I have ever shot in my life with muzzle jump so bad you have to aim low at 50. #6 every type ammo Rem accutip sabots Lightfield hybr exp sabots Federal sabots all sorts in 3' & 2 3/4 ' shells all stuck after fired took cleaning rod to push them out. I had read all sorts of good reviews & raves over accuracy & I years ago had nothing but respect for Remington or H&R. Now all I can say is there quality went down the drain when the money went to there head. Not like the better years they just don't make quality shotguns anymore other then smooth bore. So best slug gun in my honest opinion one with a scope base held on by screws in 20GA heavy as you can get with a fast twist 1-28 minimum & thick barrel or fluted to help with heat. Just hope shells don't stick & stick to ammo around 1400 to 1600 fps that's 99% lead that expands in barrel with a sabot around it like lightfield sabot slugs. Sabot slug ammo cost lots if it was me I would go smooth bore or do this. I carry a Thompson Center Omega muzzleloader now. It is a inline modern muzzleloader in 50cal. I shoot blackhorn 209 the powder cleans with same stuff you clean your other guns with & I don't have to clean-swab between shots. It has sealed ignition to keep weather out uses same shot shell primers that are in a 12 or 20GA shell never fails to fire rain sleet snow. has 1-28 twist & cost far less then a good slug gun. The muzzleloader has a leupold 2x7x33mm shotgun/muzzleloader scope on it. It punches same hole at 100 or cuts same hole at 200 yards off hand & walks the dog on a slug gun in range & accuracy. Be it smooth bore or the best of the best modern slug gun shooting 2000fps sabot with a price tag well over 1100$ for the gun. The muzzleloader can move it's 45 cal bullet in a 50 cal sabot much faster then 2000 fps if you want to & reach out to 300+ yards if you need to. Cheaper to shoot by far & recoil is like a 410 shotgun if not less with hardly no muzzle jump at all. Blackhorn 209 powder has no shelf life good to last drop 12 or 20 GA shotguns shooting 45 to 54 cal undersized jacketed bullets in a sabot in a barrel way bigger then the bullet just can't get the spin they need. A 12 Ga fully rifled slug gun is about a 72 to 73 cal gun its sabot will be very tough so tough in fact you can't cut it with a knife let alone rifling unlike a muzzleloader sabot. That slugs sabot is the size of a full bore slug! You put a hard shell-jacketed- bonded undersized non in barrel expanding bullet in that sabot good luck getting that to fly right. That would be like me trying to get a 32 cal bullet to fly right out of my 50 cal muzzleloader. Without a lead in- barrel expanding bullet to push sabot to refiling this just won't work with accuracy in a shotgun. Another thing to note shotguns are measured in GA due to varying inside barrel diameter that can't be good. Modern inline muzzleloaders vary to but not near as much hints the name 50 cal .500 cal or .499 or .501 .502 .503 would all be 50 cal I'll stick to my 50 cal inline.

Comment

Remington 870!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad