Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you consider the best slug gun for whitetails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you consider the best slug gun for whitetails?

What would you consider the best slug gun for whitetails?

Remington hands down

Comment

remintion

Comment

Hard to say the best without trying different guns. I can tell you what I use. I bought a H&R (Or New England Firearms) single shot 20 gauge slug gun last year. A lot of people in my area have em and love em. Some have em shooting good groups from 100-175 yards. Their great guns for the money. Think I paid around $200.

Comment

I use a New England Arms Pardner with a full riffled barrel in 12 Gauge, and a scope. I use Lightfeild slugs, but I might go to Hornady because they have a much faster muzzel velocity without costing much more.

Comment

But the best would have to be Remington 870, but I'm old school

Comment

Ithaca 37 Deerslayer.

Comment

I am a big fan of the 870 that is the shotgun i use for everything else, but my slug gun is a mossberg 500 with a fully rifled and ported barrel. I shoot remington copper solids out of it and it has been very accurate. Even though I love my Mossberg I still think the 870 is a better gun.

Comment

denny smith from gunworks in ohio built me a shotgun from a savage bolt action 12 gauge. it feels and shoots like a custom rifle. it will shoot 2 3/4 inch lightfields into a clover at 100 yards.

Comment

I have a Mossberg 835 with a Mossberg rifled slug barrel. It shoots 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards, with open sights, using Winchester Platinum Tip Slugs. Hard to beat that!

Comment

we have a huntin group of seven all with slug guns. 1 browning gold,1 mossberg auto,2 rem 1170,2 rem 870,and i shoot a mossberg 500. all have rifled barrels. the 500 and 870 are your cheapest most reliable options but both kick hard. browning gold action acts up when a little dirty or very cold.all shoot great groups with federal barnes and rem copper solids 3/4 or 1 oz. we all tried hornadys 2 years ago and you always got 1 or 2 bad flyers out of a box of 5. we shoot an average of about 10 boxes each a year deer hunting, but all we do is drives.there has been many 200+yd shots made from all of us. the worst slug gun i had was a mossberg bolt action, it was a tack driver, however it kicked very bad and the bolt action was hard to use. my choice for drive and stand hunting all around no failing would be 870 or 500 with federal barnes 3/4 oz(1900fps) i do not take care of my guns and neither do the 870 owners in group. it is always the auto guns with action problems when we get a big boy going though. you always can get the first shot off with any gun but if you need more a never want a failure i would go with pump.

Comment

I shot a remington 870 SPS for a few years. Inconsistent groups with all kinds of ammo and the worst trigger in the industry. Do yourself a favor and buy a muzzleloader as most all shotgun only areas now allow them. Way more range and accuracy and Savage even makes one that uses smokeless powder.

Comment

My older brother had a 16 gauge Ithaca with a smoth bore barrel. I do not rember how long it was but at that time it seemed like it was longer than me. I got to use that gun yo hunt deer with . And I have used a lot of differant guns sents. I beleave in my hart that this gun will out shoot any gun made to day. and any one thats had chance to own one or get to . You will never be sorry I promise you.

Comment

Big fan of the 870.

Comment

I've been using a Remington 1100 with a slug barrel for 18 years and I love it!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad