Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i know this is probably a stupid question,but can you kill a deer with a .22 rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jere Smith View Post
    .243 is absoluitely the smallest ETHICAL caliber for whitetails, .223 in SOME cases will kill them but is illegal in most if not all states.
    In WV any .22 centerfire is legal

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

In WV any .22 centerfire is legal
      Any centerfire is legal for deer in Alabama. Doing a little research, apparently the .22 LR is legal on private land in South Carolina:

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/faqsdeer.html#11

State laws and regulations prohibit the hunting of deer with .22 rimfire rifles or smaller on all WMAs. There are no caliber restrictions on private land. However, a .22 rimfire rifle is inadequate to harvest deer and can result in wounding or unrecovered deer. RESPECT for the animal hunted should always be a common sense guide for ethical hunters. Use only a weapon that allows the animal to be cleanly harvested. Generally speaking, a .243 or 6mm is the smallest caliber normally recommended for deer. For more information, call SCDNR Law Enforcement at (803) 734-4002.

Comment

The current trend of fast twist barrels and heavy for caliber bullets is making .22 centerfires a viable option for deer. Might be tough changing the regs in states where they aren’t legal but where they are it’s likely to become more common, especially considering the popularity of MSR’s.

Comment

Years ago there was a picture of a squaw that killed a giant brown bear with a .22 rifle. The bear made her look like a midget. I will never forget that picture.

Comment

Originally posted by blackdawgz View Post
            From my conversations with other hunters (particularly old timers) probably more deer have been killed by .22's than all others combined. There are people who live out in the boonies where you hunt. Most are felons on the run. All want food, and most are dirt-poor. While the folks who follow this magazine are law-abiding citizens and very upscale and make a large effort to stay within the law and purchase fine guns, this is not the way of the outlaw. They're not nearly as nice as the ones you see in the cowboy movies. They are exactly like the ones you saw in "Deliverance." I live in an old Airstream and travel to where the hunting is good, and where I can afford to exercise my Labradors and hunt with them. I must say at this point that the characters in "Deliverance" typify people who live in rural America. This is not a jab at Rednecks. I used to own a 140 avre farm, and enjoyed every minute of it. Rednecks are very upscale decent people. The salt of the Earth. Ethnically, I'm a Cajun.These animals who live outside the law will do anything. Shooting a deer with a .22 in the middle of Summer, and killing the fawn too is just a way of getting something to eat that day. Stay out of climates where living is too easy.
            In my job as a Natural Resources Police Officer those were the places and the people that I dealt with almost on a daily basis. They respected me more than some of the up scale "so called sportsman". I carried a 22 revolver in my patrol vehicle and shot and killed many crippled deer with a 22 hollow point between the eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

In my job as a Natural Resources Police Officer those were the places and the people that I dealt with almost on a daily basis. They respected me more than some of the up scale "so called sportsman". I carried a 22 revolver in my patrol vehicle and shot and killed many crippled deer with a 22 hollow point between the eyes.
              One of my mentors was a West Virginia man who went in the army during World War 2 and became a rifle instructor . His name was Del Stemple from the Grafton area of West Virginia . Mr Stemple told me of a huge buck he killed before the war with a 22 rimfire at over 200 yards. I ask him why he would use a 22 and he said that was all he had ! I found him to be as good a man as I ever met and in his later life when I knew him , he never broke the law. He help me immensely to become a better outdoorsman and he past away way to young.

Comment

Sorry for joining in on the necro but isn't .22 Hornet legal and sufficient for deer hunting or am I simply mistaken? I vaguely remember my father hunting with one.

Comment

Originally posted by ActuallyLucifer View Post
                  Sorry for joining in on the necro but isn't .22 Hornet legal and sufficient for deer hunting or am I simply mistaken? I vaguely remember my father hunting with one.
                  In West Virginia any centerfire .22 is legal for deer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Are You Ready For This ?
                    by PigHunter
                    Maybe they are trying to create the ultimate soldier...
                    Today, 09:01 AM
                  • Are You Ready For This ?
                    by jhjimbo
                    An American Scientist financed by Spain has gone to China to create an ape-human by combining a human embryo with a primate. I don't know why he had...
                    Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                  • Reply to Increasing Security
                    by PigHunter
                    Jimbo, here's the 12 leading causes of death in the USA. Carrying that gun may make you feel better but you'll more likely increase your chances for living...
                    Today, 08:52 AM
                  • Increasing Security
                    by jhjimbo
                    I have been carrying more lately, much more aware of the surroundings, especially in large, crowded places. I do go to a few Flea Markets that usually...
                    08-14-2019, 05:41 AM
                  • Reply to Increasing Security
                    by jhjimbo
                    Why was he cremated before an autopsy ?? Very disturbing....
                    Today, 08:49 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X