Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm doing a reasearch report on hunting and how hunters keep populations of game in check and I need to know about any game othe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm doing a reasearch report on hunting and how hunters keep populations of game in check and I need to know about any game othe

I'm doing a reasearch report on hunting and how hunters keep populations of game in check and I need to know about any game other than deer that harm their habitat by having a huge population.

Yotes are a big one, I can't think of anything else at least in the South that preys on deer.

Comment

Up in maine we need a bear and a moose season to control their populations. Without moose season their is a boost in brain worm in the moose and with the bears if there is no season over bait ( which is essential if you want to get a reasonable number of bear) the bears get aggressive towards humans because they aren't getting shot at.

Comment

Coyotes are and wolfs are starting to become a problem in the U.P in Michigan.

Comment

Wolves in Montana.

Comment

Feral hogs would certainly be one.
            You can find info on hogs and other wild life at this
            link.

http://www.uga.edu/scwds/

Comment

bassfisher17

If you really want some real good info, read and click on!

You can’t get better than these two links!

From Clays archives of bookmarks, places, information and things to read

http://depts.alverno.edu/nsmt/youngcc/research/kaibab/story1.html

http://depts.alverno.edu/nsmt/youngcc/research/kaibab/story2.html

Comment

Prairie dogs. They are quite prevalent out West and if they are abundant in an area where there are cattle, they can step in the holes and break legs. I have heard ranchers complain of the this when I guided in CO.

Comment

elk and bison in yellowstone had pretty well eaten themselves out of house and home prior to the introduction of wolves. hunters obviously weren't allowed in the park and weren't succesful in reducing the migrating herds once they left the park and went into Montana. with the elk herds now reduced, the aspen and willows have returned to the park.

Comment

Is there any animal, game of non-game, in overabundance, that doesn't create a problem with its environment?

Comment

Hogs are terrible on the land also predators like coyotes and hawks.

Comment

bassfisher17

Best history lesson you can learn!

You can’t get better than these two links!

From Clays archives of bookmarks, places, information and things to read

Comment

Hogs are always a threat because they can take over and populate new areas very quickly, but I would say one of the most overlooked animals would have to be geese, especially the snow goose. Geese will eat a lot of food for their size, I believe this to be the reason why I have yet to have a farmer turn me down when I ask to goose hunt his fields, they can quickly strip the land of ground cover in the spring when they eat the shoots of new plants, grasses, and crops.

Comment

The most devastating ecological damage ever done was in 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt established the Grand Canyon National Game Preserve on the Kaibab Plateau.

Comment

Wolves in the U.P. of MI, turkeys are starting to do alot of crop damage where I live too. Especially when they are competing with the deer for food.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                jimbo don't like me. LOL! 😉! I caught him and called his hand....
                                Today, 07:26 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by FirstBubba
                                Talk about caught twixt a rock and a hard spot!
                                Never did like Graham. He just looks cheesy to me.

Did appreciate what Graham did for...
                                Today, 07:18 PM
                              • More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by crm3006
                                Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                                Today, 05:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have blocked several that do not post anything worth reading, off topic wrong information, or pivoting on a thread.
                                The site is much more enjoyable...
                                Today, 07:02 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X