Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you like better for a hunting arrow: A lighter faster arrow (less drop), or a heavier arrow with more kenitic energy/pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you like better for a hunting arrow: A lighter faster arrow (less drop), or a heavier arrow with more kenitic energy/pen

What do you like better for a hunting arrow: A lighter faster arrow (less drop), or a heavier arrow with more kenitic energy/penitration (more drop)?

I like the idea of a more powerful arrow. I like it to be heavier and hit harder. A lighter/faster arrow seems to just deflect off bone too much. I like the arrows to go through the bones, so it needs to be heavy.

Comment

i need as much penetration as possible because i have my bow maxed out at 45 pounds

Comment

I had a low poundage bow and i used a aluminum arow which is light, at about 35 lbs i my arrow went almost the whole way through a nine point, and this deer was heavy. when we looked at it more closely the broadhead was pushing the skin out. So i would go lighter.

Comment

lighter for sure

Comment

the longest shots that I take are only up to 40 yards. for shorter shots,I think that a heavier arrow will be more sufficient when considering force to knock down power a heavier arrow would probably be a better choice at short yardages. I'm no ballistics scientists, but I would rather throw a cannon ball through a deer than a BB. If I can make that aroow fly just as accurate and have plenty of speed why not.

Comment

definitely a heavier penetration, especially with my 50 pound bow. And I am limited on my yardage, so I don't need a fast arrow.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad