X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kentucky bow hunter...

.....scores BIG!

https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunti...s-record-buck/

I saw that. What's the controversy over the legitimacy? I don't follow social media.

Comment

F and S is about as close to social media as I get franchi20.

I have never seen/heard of anyone killing a deer like this that isn't immediately surrounded by controversy.

He used a crossbow!
      It wasn't a real archery kill!
      That was rightfully "MY" deer!
      He shot across property lines! ...etc, etc

In the early 2000's, a ranch foreman asked the landowner's permission to take a young man hunting.
      He got an okay.
      The kid killed the new OK state record buck!
      The landowner fired his foreman, went to court and took the young man's deer (antlers) from him.
      1)He didn't have permission to hunt.
      2) As a guest, he should not have killed a big buck.
      3) The deer was killed on his land.
      ....and on and on and on.

It took several years of legal wrangling, but the landowner had to eventually return the young man's trophy to him.
      Due to all the controversy, the ODWC wouldn't recognize the kid or his deer until everything was resolved.
      I think it's all settled now but there sure was a bunch of hurt feelings over it, around Grandfield, OK.

Comment

I understand that jealousy rears up when big horns are claimed. The prelude mentioned an Indiana high fence outfit. This mess has the potential for making a lot of law leaching lawyers very wealthy.

Comment

EDITOR’S NOTE: When the photos of this deer were first sent to us by the hunter, Derek Settle, our immediate gut check was: This is a high-fence deer. Before we interviewed Settle, we confirmed with Kentucky Fish and Wildlife that the buck had been checked in as being killed and tagged in Kentucky on telecheck. (High fence deer in Kentucky do not have to be checked in.) After our interview with Settle, we were confident that his story was true. However, after now reading Facebook comments and seeing photos of his deer that were posted on the page of an Indiana deer preserve, one thing is clear: Someone is not telling the truth. We are investigating this story and will update you as we learn more.

franchi20, I did not read that intro. I just jumped down to the story.
          Well sir, it wouldn't be the first time some ne'er do well tried to play the system.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            EDITOR’S NOTE: When the photos of this deer were first sent to us by the hunter, Derek Settle, our immediate gut check was: This is a high-fence deer. Before we interviewed Settle, we confirmed with Kentucky Fish and Wildlife that the buck had been checked in as being killed and tagged in Kentucky on telecheck. (High fence deer in Kentucky do not have to be checked in.) After our interview with Settle, we were confident that his story was true. However, after now reading Facebook comments and seeing photos of his deer that were posted on the page of an Indiana deer preserve, one thing is clear: Someone is not telling the truth. We are investigating this story and will update you as we learn more.

franchi20, I did not read that intro. I just jumped down to the story.
            Well sir, it wouldn't be the first time some ne'er do well tried to play the system.
            F&S posted a follow-up. It looks like the hunter had the lie put to his story by the Indiana private hunting outfit where he paid to shoot the deer. They provided photos and documents. Check out the story on the main F&S page and read the comments. Hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post

F&S posted a follow-up. It looks like the hunter had the lie put to his story by the Indiana private hunting outfit where he paid to shoot the deer. They provided photos and documents. Check out the story on the main F&S page and read the comments. Hilarious!
              That's just sad, franchi20. Unfortunately, I can't get on the other F&S site. Can you post a link?

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post

Thanks. I’ll check that out later.

Unfortunately this situation is exactly what drives speculation and accusations even when legitimate trophies are taken. Ugly.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad