Archery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archery

Archery coming up soon. Hope it cools off a little.

Ours starts October 15th. I'll start practice in about 10 days.

Comment

Ohio is Sept 25 to Feb 6. Black Powder Jan 8 - 11.
      Archery is usually too hot and can't see. BP -- typically too cold but you can see forever I have been out for BP in shirt sleeves but it is unusual.

Comment

Glad you guys are using the "Bow Hunting" slot.
        Probably won't happen stop the spammers, but maybe it'll slow them down! LOL!

I've done "some" bow hunting, both in Texas and Oklahoma. Both season open October 1 and run into mid January. I'm not sure of the cutoff date in either state.

I always found archery season, for the lack of a better term, boring.

1) in OK or TX, October is too warm (hot!) to hunt. I don't like hunting with sweat running into my eyes!
        2) if you stick a deer and dont recover it pretty quickly, you stand the chance of the deer spoiling.
        3) a. mosquitoes
        b. ticks
        c. chiggers
        d. wasps
        4) can't see for beans
        5) if you see a decent buck, he's 80 yards off, going away!
        6) I personally, just dont care yo bow hunt.

I have taken a deer with a bow. Meh.
        If I want THAT much of a challenge, I'll just wait for "Primitive Arms" season in Oklahoma. Texas doesn't have a dedicated muzzle loader season but you can hunt with them anytime during the gun season.

Comment

Every year from age 22 into my forties, I always meant to take the course, buy a bow, practice my butt off, and take up bowhunting. Still hasn't happened. Got so far as having Charlie Elk on OL give me some tips on bows and shooting, but every year I'd let it go 'til it was too late that year to get started. Oh well. I've always enjoyed fall turkey season, small-game, and the late stream-fishing.

A few years ago, NY moved the bowhunting opener from mid-October to Oct. 1st, but still none of the bowhunters I know hunt before mid-month or even later. Last year we had some nice crisp October mornings, but overall there's a lot less frosty fall weather in October than there used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
            Every year from age 22 into my forties, I always meant to take the course, buy a bow, practice my butt off, and take up bowhunting. Still hasn't happened. Got so far as having Charlie Elk on OL give me some tips on bows and shooting, but every year I'd let it go 'til it was too late that year to get started. Oh well. I've always enjoyed fall turkey season, small-game, and the late stream-fishing.

A few years ago, NY moved the bowhunting opener from mid-October to Oct. 1st, but still none of the bowhunters I know hunt before mid-month or even later. Last year we had some nice crisp October mornings, but overall there's a lot less frosty fall weather in October than there used to be.
            MattM37,
            I've shot both recurve and compound. Due to shoulder and arm problems, I gave up my 65 pound compound for a recurve.
            The change was mindblowing! My accuracy improved immensely! Unfortunately, my bow hunting days were pretty much over.
            I continue to believe that instinct shooting a recurve is THE ultimate in archery hunting.

Comment

I took the NYS Archery Course when it was first required. I think you only take it once. I worked in a one story building in Victor that had a ladder built on the building that got us up to the roof. We practiced there with recurves shooting down at targets. We did that over our lunch hour - abot 5 of us. got pretty good shooting instinctively.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

MattM37,
                I've shot both recurve and compound. Due to shoulder and arm problems, I gave up my 65 pound compound for a recurve.
                The change was mindblowing! My accuracy improved immensely! Unfortunately, my bow hunting days were pretty much over.
                I continue to believe that instinct shooting a recurve is THE ultimate in archery hunting.
                Yep, hunting traditionally is mainly the appeal for me -- being well aware of the added difficulty. I'm not much for treestands, either. Ideally I'd love to just use the recurve and stalk or ambush on the ground. I'm inclined to say, "Probably I'd never get one," but honestly, I don't think it'd be such a reach to actually get one that way. I've stalked good and close to many deer over the years, just to see how close I could get, and like all of us, had deer walk right up to me when I was sitting. Drawing the bow and making the shot present their own difficulties, of course, but it doesn't seem like much more than getting a shotgun from lap to shoulder when a smart old gobbler's just 15 or 20 yards away.

Comment

I’m not sure what archery season holds for me this year. Kids have put my bowhunting on the back burner the past five years and it looks like it’s going to continue for at least a couple more. My daughter has decided to finally give it a go and the Kid has claimed the best stand location on the hill. She isn’t as hard core as he is snd he’ll be in college next year so I’ll probably have more time next season. I expect between the Kid and her still having the youth firearms season we’ll have fresh venison in October.

@Matt
                  As a bowhunter I do like the first week of October, bucks are still in bachelor groups on feed. About Columbus Day weekend it starts to shut down until around Halloween. As a guy with bird dogs I hate the earlier opening.

I think you’d quite enjoy it, if nothing else the nature watching can be fantastic. Common for us to see bears, coyotes, turkeys and even bobcats on occasion.

Comment

"... I expect between the Kid and her still having the youth firearms season we’ll have fresh venison in October. ..."

For several years now, we have listened to and enjoyed your stories about "The Kid".
                    With "The Kid" soon off to school and you soon to be hunting with the daughter.
                    Shall we now refer to your new hunting companion as "TOK"?
                    "The Other Kid"?

Comment

Yep, hunting traditionally is mainly the appeal for me -- being well aware of the added difficulty. I'm not much for treestands, either. Ideally I'd love to just use the recurve and stalk or ambush on the ground. I'm inclined to say, "Probably I'd never get one," but honestly, I don't think it'd be such a reach to actually get one that way. I've stalked good and close to many deer over the years, just to see how close I could get, and like all of us, had deer walk right up to me when I was sitting. Drawing the bow and making the shot present their own difficulties, of course, but it doesn't seem like much more than getting a shotgun from lap to shoulder when a smart old gobbler's just 15 or 20 yards away.
                      Do you remember Tred Barta ? He would roll around in the ashes of a cold fire pit and go in the woods and touch deer.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Do you remember Tred Barta ? He would roll around in the ashes of a cold fire pit and go in the woods and touch deer.
                        I remember reading about him, or someone like that, in OL or FS. Interesting stuff. I think I'll just stick with camo and maybe a little Scent-Killer spray.

Comment

I remember reading about him, or someone like that, in OL or FS. Interesting stuff. I think I'll just stick with camo and maybe a little Scent-Killer spray.
                          His real job was flying new planes to their new owners. His TV shows were all about anything outdoors. Last I remember seeing him was running through the woods with a bowie knife in his teeth tring to catch up to a pig and kill it. Very interesting character.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                            "... I expect between the Kid and her still having the youth firearms season we’ll have fresh venison in October. ..."

For several years now, we have listened to and enjoyed your stories about "The Kid".
                            With "The Kid" soon off to school and you soon to be hunting with the daughter.
                            Shall we now refer to your new hunting companion as "TOK"?
                            "The Other Kid"?
                            ToK has possibilities. Something will probably stick at some point.

Thing is I try to be careful not setting her up against her brother, she’s her own gal with her own interests, some of which overlap with his. I’m hoping the two years she has at home without him around provide for some great memories of our own.

Comment

Looked up Tred Barta.
                              I remember him doing outlandish stuff. LOL!

In 2009 Barta had a "spinal stroke" and developed a non typical type cancer.
                              Between the stroke and the cancer, Barta was robbed of about 2/3's body functions.
                              Barta was then killed in a car wreck in the Yukon in 2019.
                              Quite a man that Mr. Barta!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad