Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My brother and I have been hunting for years together. He is a non smoker NOW and swears smoking in the stand tips the big boys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brother and I have been hunting for years together. He is a non smoker NOW and swears smoking in the stand tips the big boys

My brother and I have been hunting for years together. He is a non smoker NOW and swears smoking in the stand tips the big boys off. What is the real deal here? I Thought height of my stand would keep sent from reaching the ground thus the smoke.

The height will only keep the smell from spreading in a small radius around you...or at least a semicircle...depending on wind. If there is no wind, I'd have to believe you're hosed. It will eventually drop to ground level and be picked up on. As a former smoker myself, I still get suprised how easy it is to notice smoke from another car in traffic, another fisherman's boat, or something to that affect after years of not noticing it...and that's with a human nose. A smokers sense gets dulled to it over time, but never doubt it's a strong, distinct smell that covers A LOT of ground.

Comment

Smoking to my knowledge doesn't attract deer so I would avoid it. I do think it would cause more movement though for a smoker to avoid it all day. And if not smoking makes a hunt less enjoyable then light up and enjoy the deer probably smell you either way.

Comment

I would avoid it. Height does not prevent scent from spreading. If this were true there would be no need for all of the scent blockers people pay for in stand hunting.

Comment

I once was a smoker and now cant stand the odor. I can smell a smoker for hundreds of yards and know exactly what the smell is as it hits my nose, I'm sure an old buck does the same. I would'nt smoke if I really wanted a good deer and I would not allow a smoker to set with me while smoking in one of my blinds.

Comment

Anything other than the smoke from a fireplace or campfire will spook wary deer.

For example,I had a buddy that chain smoked,and was sitting within 150-yards from my stand. I saw a nice buck moving straight for his position,when he slammed on the brakes and sniffed the area.

The buck made a wide circle,and totally disappeared not even allowing my buddy to know he was in the vicinity.

Even if there is no wind,your smoke will fall to the ground and steadily disperse,ever so slowly,tipping any mature buck off. Large bucks don't fall prey,as they have practically smelled everything available from the slipshod and slovenly affair of hunters.

If you're after large bucks,I wouldn't take the chance!

Comment

I know I'll get some -1's for this but I was taught to tell the truth.
              I smoke and had 4 deer within 10 feet of me the other day 3 bucks/1 doe. and the only one that even knew that I was there was a sml. 6pt that I named "peaty".
              I was hunting on the ground at the time and the only way he knew I was there was he saw me move to get a better "angle" on him.
              He started to run off but I called him back to the food plot I was hunting again. Again, again and again !(repeat get it !/lol). I use the wind to my advantage and use scent killer. I'm sure "smoking" is NOT helpful but I DO tag out every year, and was a bow,M/L,gun guide in Colo. for several years and none of "my" clients ever had a problem with my results.

Comment

Since you are successful in spite of smoking will not give a - to you! But I would not share a blind! I am very allergic to smoke of any kind can't have a fireplace either!

Comment

If I can smell tobacco smoke on a person, I'm sure an animal could. I'd leave the tobacco at camp and work on keeping the smell off of me when hunting.

Comment

My uncle smokes and he is always shooting big bucks. I dont think the deer relate the small of the smoke to a hunter.

Comment

meant to say smell not small

Comment

I had a guy just yesterday tell me he had a monster buck come up on him right after he lit his smoke. I am a smoker, but NEVER light up in the woods. I try to not smoke even with my hunting clothes on or in the truck.

Comment

I've had several hunters tell me it doesn't alert the deer, but it seems to me like it would, at least sometimes with older smarter animals. On a related topic, I've been wondering if deer will start to associate the smell of a thermocell with humans.

Comment

Forgot to add I'd just had "lunch" of a Peanut Butter sandwitch,Pepsi and a "marlboro" about 3 mins. before the 3 went by(only shot was straight away/spine with a crossbow). Still had the can between my knees !(lol)

Comment

Deer are born with scenses that can automatically detect humans? WOW!!! However I am not a fan of smoking I will say I know plenty of people who smoke and shoot many a deer. Even when they are hacking and coughing becuase they havent had their cig and have the black lungs. Piss is the same way I pissed off my stand one time and had a doe come within 20 yards infront of me 10 minutes after I pissed. Deer, unless heavily hunted and are older and can put 2 and 2 together with smells have no clue what cig smoke is, or if piss came from a human or another animal. But, scent control is still important and don't want you to get the wrong impression saying lets all pee of the stands and light up cigs(and get cancer) and hunt but control your scent as much as you can. If you can avoid the smoke then avoid it if not then smoke. Or if you are about to pee your pants then wip it out and pee. You never know do it enough deer may get used to it and not think anything about it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad