Bow recommendation for 12 year old novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bow recommendation for 12 year old novice

Please help. I want to introduce my grandson to bow hunting. He is an avid outdoorsman who hunts with guns, but I think he would love bow hunting. What is best to start, a crossbow or another type for beginners? Suggestions please...also preferred brands with cost considerations. Thank you.

Can't help much with cost comparisons, I haven't bow hunted in years.

My VERY first suggestion would be get him to an archery range or shop.
    Yeah, I know! Hard to locate!
    Point being, you could rent/borrow a bow and hopefully, consult with a professional who is up on all the latest gear and techniques. Most states have a "minimum draw weight" to hunt white tails. Tex & Ok it's 45 lbs.

My best advice is to start simply.
    At 12, facing a growth spurt, I would suggest an adjustable draw weight/draw length compound.
    I would steer you away from crossbows. They have their place. In the hands of a beginner, I don't think is best.

Don't buy cheap nor expensive. Mid market.
    Cheap is junk and may frustrate a beginner.
    Expensive and you may possibly have a pocketful of money sitting in a closet that nobody touches!

Hope I was of SOME help anyway.
    Good luck!
    Keep that boy in the woods. You'll both be happier!

"Teach your (grand) son to hunt and you won't have to hunt your son!"

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      Can't help much with cost comparisons, I haven't bow hunted in years.

My VERY first suggestion would be get him to an archery range or shop.
      Yeah, I know! Hard to locate!
      Point being, you could rent/borrow a bow and hopefully, consult with a professional who is up on all the latest gear and techniques. Most states have a "minimum draw weight" to hunt white tails. Tex & Ok it's 45 lbs.

My best advice is to start simply.
      At 12, facing a growth spurt, I would suggest an adjustable draw weight/draw length compound.
      I would steer you away from crossbows. They have their place. In the hands of a beginner, I don't think is best.

Don't buy cheap nor expensive. Mid market.
      Cheap is junk and may frustrate a beginner.
      Expensive and you may possibly have a pocketful of money sitting in a closet that nobody touches!

Hope I was of SOME help anyway.
      Good luck!
      Keep that boy in the woods. You'll both be happier!

"Teach your (grand) son to hunt and you won't have to hunt your son!"
      Thank you so much. I checked and the minimum draw in our area is 40 lbs. So am I right that you recommend a "compound bow" or is there another name of reference? Unfortunately, there is no archery shop anywhere near us to look at equipment. We will need to order products online. I sincerely appreciate your input. Thank you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonny View Post

Thank you so much. I checked and the minimum draw in our area is 40 lbs. So am I right that you recommend a "compound bow" or is there another name of reference? Unfortunately, there is no archery shop anywhere near us to look at equipment. We will need to order products online. I sincerely appreciate your input. Thank you again.
        Yes, "compound"....and that is the correct reference.

This is a link to an ad for a Bear (brand name) compound bow.
        Moderately priced.
        Adjustable draw weight from 25 to 50 pounds.
        I'm sure draw length is adjustable also.
        One of the guys on here used to be a competitive archer. He goes by "cd2". Maybe he'll come around.
        Are you trying to get this done for CHRISTmas?

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bear...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Unfortunately, you don't just pick up a bow and start slinging arrows.
        A compound bow has to be "tuned".
        Then there is the arrows.
        spine, weight, length, fletching, aluminum or carbon, etc, etc....

Are you sure you don't live near an Academy or Cabela's?
        Last edited by FirstBubba; 11-23-2020, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Oh, we have an Academy about 45 minutes away, and a Cabela's is about 2 hours away. And yes, I would like to get this for Christmas. We also have a Dick's Sporting Goods relatively close. I wasn't aware they could help "fit or tune" a bow for me. I thought I needed to find an actual archery store. My son had already told me he didn't think we should get a crossbow because it was not exactly real bow and arrow style hunting. Anyway, I appreciate the information. And hopefully this can steer me in the right direction. Thank you.

Comment

An archery store would be best, but not the only place.
            I think you might be better off at the Cabela's.
            I'm from Texas, driving 100 miles to get to a store is a, "So what?".

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

A lot of compounds are adjustable in lb. pull, length of pull which determines length of arrow.
                Some of the sports stores have a sales clerk that can make adjustments on a new purchase. They also do some repair.
                I hunt in NY and had to take a day long course to be able to hunt deer with archery. All safety concerns were covered and we actually had to shoot at a target to show proficiency. Your State may have something like that. Also, other experienced archers can lend some help and instructions.
                Also, check your regulations, a 12 year old may need to have an adult with him or her when hunting. Especially hunting deer with a gun. What State are you in?

Comment

We're in South Carolina

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad