Fred Bear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Bear

3/5/19 Fred Bear would have been 117. Here is a little bit written from uncle Ted.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/b...er-of-all-time

Jason, I thank you greatly for posting that. I was fortunate to visit Mr. Bear and be given the tour of his small archery shop in Grayling on a number of occasions in the mid ‘50’s. He was a great person to know and I have some great memories of my contacts with him. Those times have caused me to be a devoted traditional archer yet today. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
      Jason, I thank you greatly for posting that. I was fortunate to visit Mr. Bear and be given the tour of his small archery shop in Grayling on a number of occasions in the mid ‘50’s. He was a great person to know and I have some great memories of my contacts with him. Those times have caused me to be a devoted traditional archer yet today. Thanks again.
      Whether it be traditional or not archery would be 30 years behind if not for Fred Bear. I loved the part about the salute that was hreat.

Comment

Before it was moved to Florida in 1985, when we summered at Houghton lake, we would buzz up to Grayling to the Fred Bear museum. Again, this was 1967-1978. I remember nearby was a miniature railroad ride that would take you around a pond with painted concrete safari animals, most with pieces broken off. I learned to bow hunt with a 50# Bear recurve. My uncle still has that bow with a half dozen wooden arrows and bear razor broadheads on the wall of his hunting camp-second home near Alma. When I got my first compound, a bear whitetail hunter, I sold him that whole rig for $10.

Comment

That is interesting to hear Dewman, glad you had the experience with traditional equipment. BTW, I am only about an hour from Alma !

Comment

That is interesting to hear Dewman, glad you had the experience with traditional equipment. BTW, I am only about an hour from Alma !
            I was born there. Grew up in Perrinton. Hunted down the railroad tracks and fished pine creek from Grant road to Rainbow Lake. Bought my guns at the small original Jay's in Clare. Sound familiar?

Comment

Dewman, I was brought up in Lewiston as the only grandson of maternal grandparents, so had a great childhood hunting and fishing lakes and small trout streams in the area. Was in Jay’s several times, great place ! Do you still visit here in the state ?

Comment

I had been coming up to deer or pheasant /grouse hunt almost every year but after my accident in September I'm not sure I'll be able to any longer as my ability to walk has been severely curtailed. Bird hunting is over for sure.

Comment

Was not aware of an accident, very sorry to learn of it now and hope there is some possibility of a return to better health. Best wishes Dewman, take care !

Comment

Was not aware of an accident, very sorry to learn of it now and hope there is some possibility of a return to better health. Best wishes Dewman, take care !
                    There isn't. Hoping my right hand will come back around. My shoulder did so fingers crossed. Won't ever be shooting a bow or larger caliber handgun again either. It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post
                      3/5/19 Fred Bear would have been 117. Here is a little bit written from uncle Ted.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/b...er-of-all-time
                      My first bow was a Bear Grizzly in 1970. First deer with it was a nice 8pt. The Bear hunting broadheads are now a collectors item and I have seen them for $10+ ea. I always stop in Grayling on the way deer hunting. Also, have taken the canoe float down the River about 30 miles. I recommend that for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

My first bow was a Bear Grizzly in 1970. First deer with it was a nice 8pt. The Bear hunting broadheads are now a collectors item and I have seen them for $10+ ea. I always stop in Grayling on the way deer hunting. Also, have taken the canoe float down the River about 30 miles. I recommend that for everyone.
                        10.00 each, you can still buy them cheaper than this new crap. Now if only they where still around.

Comment

I thought Zwickeys too hard, Bears too soft and Magnus just right.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                            I thought Zwickeys too hard, Bears too soft and Magnus just right.
                            The old magnus, only used them once. I used a thread in 150 grain and man did they cut a hole.

Comment

I shot through a couple of deer w Magnus 2 blade and disliked the slit of a 2 blade. Switched to Magnus Snuffers. Put way more red on the ground. 55-57# FF strung Blackwidows have enough oomph to shove em through. Going to non FF rigs for a while, switched to Magnus Stingers (2 blade w bleeders), blew through.

Back to a FF strung Widow. Gonna get some Snuffers again

This little dude was crippled, late season, so I popped him.
                              Moved for photo...........to the right of the pic is a HUGE mess on the snow.
                              1st shot was about straight down, awkward twist too. Spined. Finisher is visible in pic (behind shoulder).
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Snuffer.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	705840
                              Last edited by CD2; 03-16-2019, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Obstruction Question !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Is anyone else being bothered with the ‘page 1of 1 (or such) and filter, being brought down into the comment section and not remaining in it’s upper...
                                Today, 10:41 AM
                              • Reply to Obstruction Question !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                A rather perplexing issue isn’t SL ? After awhile you will start getting really heated up about it !! I kind of thought things were going along a...
                                Today, 06:43 PM
                              • Sealed Drags vs Cork
                                by buckhunter
                                Not sure I like the recent trend of sealed drags in fly reels. IMO nothing beats a quality cork drag. Quality cork is hard to find and sealed drags...
                                Yesterday, 10:16 PM
                              • Reply to Sealed Drags vs Cork
                                by Solitario Lupo
                                So many names for reels out you almost had me clueless on this but I understand that you like the cork washers for drags instead of a rubber washers....
                                Today, 06:20 PM
                              • Peripheral Vision
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                we all know that most wild life have amazing peripheral vision. But, how about we humans ? How do most of you equate your side vision when on stand or...
                                Today, 07:39 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X