No announcement yet.

Target shooting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice deer guys, congrats. I'm all for any razor sharp,cut on contact head. I've been using the old style Woodsman broad heads for years with great results. When they eventually get bent, or worn from repeated sharpening, I file them down and use them on small game. I get a lot of mileage out of them.
    Last edited by SingleShot; 01-30-2019, 11:42 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Jason, that "cull" deer in your pic, would be considered a pretty nice buck here around home. If a buck is lucky enough to live to his third year around here, somebody shoots him out the truck window at night before season opens.

Comment

I made some bleed crest woodies for my Blackwidow MA2 back in '88, when 3 Rivers was in the basement of a house (I lived in Ft Wayne then, was not far away).
        Stumping with buds I broke a couple, sold them the rest of my wood arrow making supplies and have not shot them since.

Went aluminum, and when Gold tip came out, with internal weight adjustment system, went that way and have never looked back.

When I shot 3D I shot from the compound states, sometimes the MBR (which was out to 45 yards). Sometimes I'd skip off the belly. The carbons were still good. Aluminum would have been trashed and wood.......splintered.

I think they look pretty good on my black metal Widows

Yup..............searching for the "one" bow. Easier to find a smoking hot wife that can cook and isn't nuts.

I have never found the perfect recurve, have had some good ones. The HS is heavy, the grip decent. It's as close as I have found. Could blow a lot of money continuing the quest.
        Figured I'd just stop here and adapt

Comment

CD2 I went the same route and settled on Gold Tip traditionals, myself. The only problem I've had with them is hitting the off side leg bone on a deer a few years ago. It hit hard and made a heck of a crack when it did. I found the arrow minus the head about 20 yards down the blood trail. It splintered in to a whole bunch of thin, long strands to within a few inches of the nock. I found the deer about 50 yards further. When I butchered him, the broad head was buried in the bone. I shoot year round, almost daily, including a lot of stumping/roving and the only thing I've had to do is replace feathers once in a while. I'm sold on them.

Comment

Originally posted by SingleShot View Post
            CD2 I went the same route and settled on Gold Tip traditionals, myself. The only problem I've had with them is hitting the off side leg bone on a deer a few years ago. It hit hard and made a heck of a crack when it did. I found the arrow minus the head about 20 yards down the blood trail. It splintered in to a whole bunch of thin, long strands to within a few inches of the nock. I found the deer about 50 yards further. When I butchered him, the broad head was buried in the bone. I shoot year round, almost daily, including a lot of stumping/roving and the only thing I've had to do is replace feathers once in a while. I'm sold on them.
            SingleShot and CD2, I agree with both of you fellas as to the wood arrows being so damn fragile, have replaced many in my day, more than a few from splitting the fletching shooting groups. I just went trad all the way and never gave up wood, they do have a few drawbacks, but what the heck, so do I !

Comment

Just a heads up for the traddies.....

https://www.facebook.com/traditionalworldchampionship/

http://cloverdaleconservationclub.or...Nationals.html

Comment

Thanks for that info CD. I will be out of the country in June, sure would have enjoyed the Cloverdale shoot ! I see they have a class ‘modern trad., that makes no sense, what is modern trad., trad is trad ?

Comment

Modern Trad............I dunno, maybe allow cushion plunger or short fletching?

Just checked:

IBO says bump the nock and 4" or longer fletching in reg recurve.

Stringwalking is allowed in another class.

Checked both links and really didn't see an exact breakdown of terms/classes.
                  Last edited by CD2; 04-02-2019, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Interesting, and thanks again CD.

Comment

There's also the I.B.O. traditional nationals.............dunno if one signs up for that or has to qualify at other shoots.

Buddy goes to E.T.A.R. (Eastern Traditional Archery Rendezvous).

And of course there's always Compton.

I've only shot Cloverdale and that was yrs ago.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                        There's also the I.B.O. traditional nationals.............dunno if one signs up for that or has to qualify at other shoots.

Buddy goes to E.T.A.R. (Eastern Traditional Archery Rendezvous).

And of course there's always Compton.

I've only shot Cloverdale and that was yrs ago.
                        I shot a few IBO shoots, haven't in about twelve years though. I shot with a compound so it was a little different than the traditional stuff

Comment

I avoided trophy shoots and the nonsense, but when buds and I went, I'd shoot from the yellow compound stakes, and sometimes the green

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad