Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We all know that high tech compound bows are even more high tech than our rifles and certainly more prone to improvements each y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shane mcelroy
    replied
    mathews reezen and wasp broadheads

Leave a comment:

• Bigbuck14
    replied
    Go gore a matthews or a martin use crimson talion broadheads or muzzy broadheads and you can get carbon arrows are the best u can get the broad heads and arrows right at wal-mart to always low prices

Leave a comment:

• bomberpride
    replied
    I'd go with a diamond or a hoyt and maybe some muzzy or g5 broadheads

Leave a comment:

• mdhager115
    replied
    Lots of great diamonds, bowtechs an matthews out there. As for broadheads, the rage is pretty popular, if you wanna go cheaper, try Muzzys.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Jay is right about speed. Everyone seems to want speed but speed is not what kills deer. You need a smooth drawing bow you can hold at full draw a long time. And you need a bow that is silent. Never had a deer jump the string on my Switchback XT. It has the factory string suppressors and I added another after-market suppressor that screwed into the rear stabilizer hole. My bow is as quiet as a rat pissing on cotton.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    I killed my first 3 deer with the old (new then) Bear Razorhead. Used fixed blades for many years. Never tried mechanicals til 3 yr ago. Rage 2 blade shoots to the exact same point as field points and are very accurate. Each 3-pack comes with a practice head so you don't dull your blades. They sell replacement blades but I just sharpen the old ones. Killed 2 deer with the same head and arrow last fall in just a couple days. I recently bought and tried 5 different fixed blades and none were as accurate. Accurate shots kill deer instead of hitting guts or shoulder blades. Never had a Rage fail to penetrate a deer's body at any angle.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    IMO, a hunting bow should have a brace height of 7 inches, axle to axle of at least 32 inches (I prefer 36), and must be very smooth to draw.

Speed of the arrow seems to be the major marketing scheme of most bow manufacturers today but it really is not that important in a hunting bow. being able to draw on an animal easily, being forgiving at the time of the shot, noise level, etc are more important than speed. A deer doesn't know the difference between a 200fps double lung hit or a 300fps double lung hit.

Leave a comment:

• Christian Emter
    replied
    I've seen lots of Diamonds around this year. Broad heads I wouldn't know.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter123
    replied
    i think the best bows for 08-09 would be the mathews drenalin, hoyt alfamax, alpine silverado, pse x force (fastest bow), the best broadhead is deffinatly the montec g5

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    Any high quality bow is going to perform well for you if you are a good shooter. Shoot fixed blades.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Ish,

Does your old Mathews have parallel limbs? If not I would get a new Mathews. Couldn't be happier with my Switchback XT. I have to shoot a different target with each arrow to avoid busted nocks from arrows hitting each other. Rage 2 blade is outstanding. I switched to them 2 yrs ago and everything simply leaves a heck of a blood trail that is usually short and theres a dead deer at the end. Punch my name and click on my photos. There is a pic of the wound the Rage makes. Two deer I killed did not have a pass thru hit. Both died quick and the arrown fell out after the deer ran only a few yards.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    ishawooa

You know how picky I am,

I’m still waiting for a new bow to come out before I retire what I have. I have a HCA 4Runner that drives tack driving accuracy 28”Gold Tips at 310ishfps with 100 grain 3 blade Muzzy’s.

Until something comes along to really turn me on, I’ll keep what I have that really works!!!

Leave a comment:

• rezavoirdog
    replied
    Start by shooting as many as you can at your local pro shop. Don't get caught-up in the hype of the "Speed Bows", such as PSE X-Force, Matthews Monster, etc. Buy the one with best draw cycle, solid backwall, minimal shock/vibration and low sound. Heck, you may just stay with your Matthews, and just buy a new sight, arrows or a rest.

Leave a comment:

• kolbster
    replied
    Rage 2 and 3 blade are the best,

Leave a comment:

• We all know that high tech compound bows are even more high tech than our rifles and certainly more prone to improvements each y

We all know that high tech compound bows are even more high tech than our rifles and certainly more prone to improvements each year. I keep shooting my antique Solocam and might want to upgrade. What are the hot compounds and broadheads this year?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad