Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For a first time bow hunter is a 70lb draw too much? What is the most common 50-60lb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For a first time bow hunter is a 70lb draw too much? What is the most common 50-60lb?

For a first time bow hunter is a 70lb draw too much? What is the most common 50-60lb?

I think that is really going to depend on your body type. Overall I would say that 50-60lb is going to be just fine. Bows are so advanced now days that you don't really have to worry about arrow speeds or anything like that. Shot placement is the most important thing. I shot a mule deer buck with a bow that had 45lb draw and he only went 50 yards. jmk

Comment

These days bows are very advanced, sao you can be fine at 50-60. But go for 70 if your comfortable with it.

Comment

I pull 63 lbs and blow through everything I shoot at. 60 lbs is more than enough. A lighter weight gives you a longer and more steady hold which can come in handy. The lighter weight also gives you less vibration therefore less noise.

Goodluck

Comment

If you go with a lighter draw weight (45-60lbs), increase your total arrow weight to between 400-500 grains to keep your kinetic energy high enough for pass-throughs.

Comment

deeprnds on your age and body. but you can try something less

Comment

The more you “”train”” at 70 pounds the better you will be pulling it back and the ability to hit your point of aim. My HCA (High Country Archery) 4 Runner now under the Mathew name is set at 70ibs with a 28” Gold Tip with 3 blade 100 grain Muzzy at 310ish fps. I only use 3 pins 30, 40 & 50 and can accurately judge 60. It’s flat shooting out to 30 yards and the distance between my 30 and 50 yard pin is only about ¾ inch. I also have a Bushnell laser range finder mounted on the bow and I can operate at full draw. For high angle shots, my 30 yard pin is dead on.

I also found, upping the poundage on a bow may not achieve a faster arrow. You will just have to try it out to find out.

Comment

Clay,

I noticed the same thing about the 30 yd pin working on steep angle shots.

I shoot a 62 lb Mathews and have taken 8 deer with it in the last 3 years. Could have taken several more. With rangefinders you don't need a flat shooting bow. Whats more important is silence, accuracy and the ability to hold at full draw a long time without the shakes. You draw when the head is down or behind a tree then wait at full draw for a shot. Works great for me.

Comment

i don't bow hunt but even i know 70 lbs is too much

Comment

Just because a bow says 70lb draw, don't let that stop you from buying it, the shop can set it to your likes and the poundage can be upped later.

Comment

It really depends on your AGE and how much you practice. a 20-30 year old can pull a 70 pound bow all day but us older guys usually drop down to 45-55 pounds and find how to get closer. there is no advantage to a higher draw weight. The extra pounds are only incrementally not exponentially, meaning the more you pull you guts out is only for a small gain.

sorry.

Comment

I think 70 pounds is high for most deer hunting, and there is a huge difference between what you can pull in July in your yard wearing a t-shirt and what you can pull in a stand in December with 4 layers on. Also your bow will be more efficient pulling at its maximum possible draw weight.

Comment

Only go with 70 if your comfortable. 60lb is probably the most common in my area.

Comment

I think 60# is more than sufficient. That said, the only reason i bought one was because it was mislabled as 70# on ebay. Rather than hassle with returning it i started shooting it. Did the trick on the only buck I shot at with it. I think some people shooting heavier bows may take risky shots. Not good. Most 60# bows can be adjusted up to about 62 or 63#

Comment

it depends on what you can handle. If you are comfortable with 60-70 and can hold at full draw for 30-40 seconds then you can probably go that high. Otherwise stick with 50-60 and make it easier on yourself.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad