Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone had a bad experience with Rage broadheads? I'm thinking of switching to the 2 bladed rage next year and all I have he

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had a bad experience with Rage broadheads? I'm thinking of switching to the 2 bladed rage next year and all I have he

Has anyone had a bad experience with Rage broadheads? I'm thinking of switching to the 2 bladed rage next year and all I have heard is good things.

I've heard great things as well. But I've also heard that they sometimes dont open all rthe way or are just loose or something like that, and alsoi they are pretty expensive. Im happy, with my 3 blade muzzys, on ebay they are really cheap.

Comment

i love the rage 2 and 3 blade its all i use.

Comment

Click my name and look in my pic file at the wound a Rage 2 blade made on a doe. The archery guy at Cabelas put me on to them. He said there was some problems with the 3 blade not always opening. I understand that has been fixed. But I have had excellent luck with the 2 blade so am not switching. Yes they are high but still cheap compared to overall cost of archery gear. The blades sometimes unlock in the quiver. I can deal with that by being careful. They are very accurate, cause huge bloodtrails and very, very deadly. What more do you need?

Comment

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. I know Rage broadheads can make big holes in deer but there is more to it. If you have a quartering shot where you hit the back rib to take it out behind the shoulder the Rage will deflect off the skin and change the angle of the shot. A fixed blade with go straight through where you want it. If you hit bone with a Rage you may break off the blades where a fixed blade are more durable. You lose kinectic energy with mechanical broadheads so fixed blade penetration is much greater. Rage broadheads will open at the slightest touch of twig before or after a shot changing the flight of the arrow.

Last but not lease they are so darn expensive you are just lining the pockets of the t.v. host who are paid to shoot them.

I've shot Rage and have killed many deer with them but I've killed a lot more with fixed blades. Stick with fixed blades.

Comment

You should see the results from my step-sons deer taken with a Rage.

Comment

They are fantastic their entrance and exit holes are like nothing else! However, be careful with the 3 blade because some states, like NY, consider them to be barbed thus making them illegal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUBvkpqYuBc

Comment

if you have a foam quiver on your bow, good luck keeping them closed. It doesn't take much to open the blades. I tried to use them in my quiver, but they drove me nuts. That's the only problem I have with them. They fly great and make a massive hole, but i prefer the fixed blades.

Comment

Over the years I lost more wounded deer with fixed blades (4) than with Rage only 1. The one I lost was a mature buck hit in the shoulder blade after the arrow ticked a branch. Tried to thread the needle with that one and it didn't work. I have seen 2 deer shot by hunters that had broadheads stuck and healed in the shoulder blade. The Rage makes a wound that bleeds like crazy which means an easy and short trail to follow.

Comment

Del I appreciate your point but look at is this way. You do not find mechanical heads in deer because they fall out easily. Fixed blades will remain in the body grinding up the vitals.

I could post a laundry list of animals I've shot with fixed blades that have gone less than 30 yards, bear, elk, muley and that 195 incher in the picture to the left. I rarely have a whitetail that does not fall within sight.

A good shot with any broadhead will kill an animal in short order but my point is there is too much that can go wrong with a mechanical. Why risk it if a fixed blade will do the trick.

Comment

i personally like 3 blades better

Comment

My friend uses them and he said it went straight through his deer this year and left a huge exit hole. The deer only went 30 yards.

Comment

I love my Rage 3 blade broad heads... they are very accurate and cause huge wound channels and you would have to be blind not to see the blood trail they leave. Although pricey, they are really good broad heads.

Comment

I have never used them but I have heard only good things about them.

Comment

My family loves the Rage 3 Blade Broad Heads!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad