Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a brand new recurve bow hunter. I dislike the idea of a tree stand and was wondering what type of camouflage would be good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Ghillie suits come in a variety of designs, and are waterproof, bug-proof, mildew resistant, and washable. Washing real sticks and leaves doesn’t turn out so well. Also, the suits made from kits are based on a body covering of nylon mesh. This allows the user to wear a simple t-shirt underneath, avoiding the stifling heat that tends to build up with conventional Ghillie suits!!!

Leave a comment:

• Spywell
    replied
    If you are stalking deer I recommend some RealtreeHD Green.

Next I recommend stalking after it rains. Everytime I hunt after it rains I practically walk up to deer and dont even notice it. The secret is that after it rains the ground and leaves are wet so you dont make any sounds. Hunting after it rains gets me within 20 yards it just comes down to who sees who first.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Swigart
    replied
    Phillip,

I just bought some ASAT camo. It's the 'leaf' type and does an excellent job of 'busting up' your outline. The colors in it are black, brown and a yellow ban-tan (not sure what a ban-tan is but I call it just 'tan'). My wife was checking me out kneeling down and 'hiding' amongst some bushes and she said, "Wait a minute. Let me get the camera." While she went to get it I moved over about 6 to 8 feet. When she came out she honestly didn't know where I had moved to. I had put a few of a bushes branches in front of me, but unlike before, when she went into the house, I was standing up. She had NO IDEA where I was! Amazing stuff.

Leave a comment:

• AzelisWolf
    replied
    Well I'm a compound bow hunter (first time actually), but I also prefer ground hunting. I don't even have a tree stand in fact, and have no plans to pick one up.

You don't necessarily need "mobile camo" as you won't be moving when you're being watched if you can help it. For the most part, what works in the trees will work on the ground. A 3D camo suit or guille suit will add some realism to breezes and such but they can be pricey and don't necessarily offer any advantages, especially with a bow string pulling at them.

The biggest suggestion I have is to control your scent. I personally prefer to eliminate my scent rather than mask it, as much as possible. A ground blind will help cover some mistakes in scent, movement, and camo but if you're like me you'll want to be moving around; tracking and stalking. And in that case you'll want to make sure you wear clothing and footwear you can be quiet in, but from what I know prey will often try to confirm a suspicious noise more than they will a suspicious scent.

Leave a comment:

• rezavoirdog
    replied
    If you're hunting out west, Advantage MAX-1HD, Mossy Oak Brush for the open country. Mossy Oak New Break-Up and Realtree Hardwoods or All Purpose for the timber. Make sure you cover your face with paint or a head cover, and your hands with gloves, bare skin stands out like a white flag! Watch the wind, they'll smell you before they'll see you.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Look into the Ghilli or Gilly suits that are out there. A traditional archer friend of mine has one and he can disapper in almost any setting.

Leave a comment:

• mdhager115
    replied
    Mossy Oak New Break Up or Realtree APG

Leave a comment:

• peter
    replied
    hell yeah there is another recurve hunter who doesn't use a tree stand out there. but, if yout hunting on the ground i klike to make my own groun blinds. i make three sticks in the ground and tie big wid branches to i. then build up it with leaves and branches from the surrrondings

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    you will need a ground blind they make the stick ones or a half clam shell looking blind or you could always drag up trees or whatever. Generally deer are VERY hard to kill within bow range on the ground. I would also get a 3D leaf suit vs a ghillie, ghillies are usually rather hot and the strings will probably get caught in the bow string. Generally go green early season, then brown or bare bark like the hardwoods HD pattern. Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• wally
    replied
    If you have the VS. Channel I would encourage you to watch The best and Worst of Ted Barta. He is a traditional Recurve bow hunter. He only hunts with arrows that he makes. He has some awesome fair chase stalks.

Leave a comment:

• T
    replied
    It kinda depends on what environment you live in for camo. Realtree Hd blends in with most places and I like mine alot. 3-D leaf camo is also very good so your body doesn't get silhouetted.

Leave a comment:

• beagleboy
    replied
    I am unsure whether you mean a mobile blind for camo or just camo clothing. For mobile blind they make a 3 post screen that is very mobile and provides sufficient cover. I've seen these at walmart. For camo clothing the 3-D leaf camo options would be a good choice. You could get a ghille suit but that make not be comfortable for walking over distances. For a ghillie suit look in the advertisements in the last pages of your hunting magazines.

Leave a comment:

• I am a brand new recurve bow hunter. I dislike the idea of a tree stand and was wondering what type of camouflage would be good

I am a brand new recurve bow hunter. I dislike the idea of a tree stand and was wondering what type of camouflage would be good for ground hunting that may involve walking/stalking. I don't know if there is such a thing as "mobile camouflage?"

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad