How heavy to buy arrows?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How heavy to buy arrows?

So my brother and I are getting into archery hunting for deer I have a 45# bow and he has a 50# bow. Both are compound bows. I know these are fairly light poundage bows and I've been trying to do some research about arrows and know that momentum is key to penetration, but I can't figure how heavy my arrows need to be. I've heard micro diameters arrows help penetration?? We don't want to buy super expensive arrows until deer season gets closer next year, we just want some arrows for practicing. Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Easton bloodline 400 arrows cut to length and 125 grain tips. Carbon express maxima hunter 350 cut to length with 125 grain tips. If you are hunting whitetails or mule deer i suggest rage 2 blade 125 extremes or muzzy 125 fixed blades. Whatever you choose to hunt with is what you should practice with. Consistency is the key to archery both with equipment and shooting. I have shot alot of deer with those two setups i currently shoot the bloodline 400 with rage extreme 125 two blades and they work great. I would also suggest going up to about 60 pounds atleast to get into the 315-320 fps range.

Comment

You will find that the standard Easton hunting arrow (or any carbon arrow for that matter) with a 100g Muzzy broadhead will be all you need to hunt. Use the same weight field tip for practice as the broadheads you purchase. There are literally dozens of arrows and broadheads that will kill a deer just fine if you hit them where you are supposed to.

If you are just starting, the most important thing you MUST understand is that your bow and your arrow are NOT significantly important in getting a deer. Getting enough HUNTING SKILL and SHOOTING SAVVY to get your arrow (whatever it may be) to strike a vital area EVERY time is what is important. Any hunting arrow with just about any broadhead will be lethal if you hit the right spot with a 45-80 pound bow.

Using a stronger bow will give you more arrow speed and therefore more range and more penetration. However, that is really not necessary in most deer hunting. If you limit your range to about 25 yards, and never shoot at a deer that is watching you, you will find that your arrow will penetrate plenty in order for a clean kill. Arrows don't have to penetrate a deer completely if they strike the heart or both lungs although it can be beneficial.

The biggest MISTAKE in archery hunting is the propagation of the belief that the equipment gets the deer. The ARCHER gets the deer by being a good HUNTER, having a HIGHLY PREDICTABLE shot to the kill zone, keeping the RANGE in line with their equipment and shooting ability, and never shooting at a deer that is LOOKING at them (where their quick dodging is unpredictable).

Comment

Dakota you are right, i have found through my own experience with going a little light on the arrow and making up for it with the broadhead increases the chance of pass throughs with lower poundage.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
          You will find that the standard Easton hunting arrow (or any carbon arrow for that matter) with a 100g Muzzy broadhead will be all you need to hunt. Use the same weight field tip for practice as the broadheads you purchase. There are literally dozens of arrows and broadheads that will kill a deer just fine if you hit them where you are supposed to.

If you are just starting, the most important thing you MUST understand is that your bow and your arrow are NOT significantly important in getting a deer. Getting enough HUNTING SKILL and SHOOTING SAVVY to get your arrow (whatever it may be) to strike a vital area EVERY time is what is important. Any hunting arrow with just about any broadhead will be lethal if you hit the right spot with a 45-80 pound bow.

Using a stronger bow will give you more arrow speed and therefore more range and more penetration. However, that is really not necessary in most deer hunting. If you limit your range to about 25 yards, and never shoot at a deer that is watching you, you will find that your arrow will penetrate plenty in order for a clean kill. Arrows don't have to penetrate a deer completely if they strike the heart or both lungs although it can be beneficial.

The biggest MISTAKE in archery hunting is the propagation of the belief that the equipment gets the deer. The ARCHER gets the deer by being a good HUNTER, having a HIGHLY PREDICTABLE shot to the kill zone, keeping the RANGE in line with their equipment and shooting ability, and never shooting at a deer that is LOOKING at them (where their quick dodging is unpredictable).
          Very accutate and well said Dman !! Now, if all would take that advice.........!

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post

Wow that really opened my eyes and made me not so worried about shooting a low poundage bow! Do you think if I went 7 grains per pound for my arrows with a 100 grain head would give me that penetration at 25-30 yards or so?

Comment

The standard 5/16 carbon arrow of proper spine for your draw weight and draw length will be fine.

I would not run a 100gr head.

For more momentum, and FOC.......go with a 125 gr head.
              To enhance penetration, go with a cut on contact fixed blade head too.

I use that type of arrow in my recurves (and compounds of higher #).
              One broadhead type for any bow (kinda nice).

Note: With a 55# recurve of decent performance (Black Widow SA2, w FF string).....I usually blew through my deer.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post
                Easton bloodline 400 arrows cut to length and 125 grain tips. Carbon express maxima hunter 350 cut to length with 125 grain tips. If you are hunting whitetails or mule deer i suggest rage 2 blade 125 extremes or muzzy 125 fixed blades. Whatever you choose to hunt with is what you should practice with. Consistency is the key to archery both with equipment and shooting. I have shot alot of deer with those two setups i currently shoot the bloodline 400 with rage extreme 125 two blades and they work great. I would also suggest going up to about 60 pounds atleast to get into the 315-320 fps range.
                My Hoyt (2005 Protec) clocked 272 FPS at 72# running 430gr arrows.
                Most folks aint gonna hit the bow's advertised IBO rating.
                I'm doubting folks shooting 60# and hitting 320 FPS w hunting weight arrows.
                I'd rather slow things down, up efficiency and lessen stress on my gear......not seek some top end speed.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                  The standard 5/16 carbon arrow of proper spine for your draw weight and draw length will be fine.

I would not run a 100gr head.

For more momentum, and FOC.......go with a 125 gr head.
                  To enhance penetration, go with a cut on contact fixed blade head too.

I use that type of arrow in my recurves (and compounds of higher #).
                  One broadhead type for any bow (kinda nice).

Note: With a 55# recurve of decent performance (Black Widow SA2, w FF string).....I usually blew through my deer.
                  This has always worked for me as well. My wife is shooting a bear lights out compound set up with carbon express maxima 350 and a 125 muzzy three blade. She is shooting a 40 pound draw. Most deer shot within 20 yards and they all pass through. The quickest kill so far with that setup was 42 yards the arrow went in one side and when the deer started to run it stopped real quick and fell over. Turns out the broadhead was moving around inside as she started to run and cut the lungs to shreds. The amount of blood was unbelievable and didnt go 15 yards

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post
                    Right IBO speed is acheived with an absolute bare bow. Rest limbs cams and string is the only thing there. I have been shooting for years I know one olympic shooter and anothrr that shoots for mathews. I myself prefer ckean oass throughs out to atleast 45 yards. I remember way back shooting 3d and hunting with a darton. Back then we put overdraws on 70 and 80 pound bows to get our arrows as light as possible and as fast as possible. Never would have guessed 20 years later that 40# bows would be out performing those setups. How times have changed

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad