First bow for a 12 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First bow for a 12 year old

Hi- my son has really wanted to get into bow hunting (has been hunting with rifles) and we are looking for a first bow for Christmas. I would like something that he will be able to use for a long time. Can someone suggest a starting point to look for as far as brands that won’t break the bank but will still be quality? I appreciate any help with this, thanks for your time

Your 12 year old son will get bigger and stronger. In my opinion, having instructed numerous youths, some becoming world champions, your son may get two years out of a proper fitting bow even with draw length and draw weight changes. I have been out of the archery game for about 10 years so I can't recommend a bow. Go to a good archery shop or two for advise and sizing of your son.

Comment

Mission Craze. Made by Mathews, run about $300 for the bare bow.
      My 14 year old son has been shooting his for 4 years, and my 12 year old daughter hers for 2 now, I believe hers is the Craze II.
      Draw length is adjustable from 19”-30” and draw weight goes from like 17#-70# as the draw length increases. Both my kids will be shooting these a long time. Only need an Allen key to adjust draw length on the cams which you can do yourself. You can accommodate arrow length for a few adjustments but eventually will need to replace those.

I worked in a pro shop for 5 years back in the 90’s and have taught Bowhunter Ed for over 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        Mission Craze. Made by Mathews, run about $300 for the bare bow.
        My 14 year old son has been shooting his for 4 years, and my 12 year old daughter hers for 2 now, I believe hers is the Craze II.
        Draw length is adjustable from 19”-30” and draw weight goes from like 17#-70# as the draw length increases. Both my kids will be shooting these a long time. Only need an Allen key to adjust draw length on the cams which you can do yourself. You can accommodate arrow length for a few adjustments but eventually will need to replace those.

I worked in a pro shop for 5 years back in the 90’s and have taught Bowhunter Ed for over 20 years.
        BTW; the boy was 4’6” when he got his bow, is now 5’8” and growing daily. Have changed out arrows 3x so far and he’ll have new again next season. Buy a little heavy and long each time so he can get another adjustment before you have to by new again.

Comment

Being a hater of technology and a die hard traditional shooter, I would say a longbow or a recurve to be the optimum starting point. I know not many (if any) will agree with me, but it is a very simplistic and basic archery concept. I started with a longbow at age 11 and worked into a recurve thru my teenage years. Technology has made archery almost extinct in the true word of the sport, but traditional bows are very gratifying to learn their use ! A traditional bow of 30-35 pound pull weight would be a good starting point, and would be in the price range of $150-200. Traditional bows can be 1 piece or takedown, custom made or production made, but either way are simple in basic form, simple to set up and keep in working order ! I think he will take pride in doing a form of hunting that not everyone else is doing. Good luck in your boy’s future which ever way you/he decide to go !

Comment

I second Fitch's recommendation to look at the Mission line although it looks like the Craze has been replaced by the Hammr.

The Hoyt Klash is about an extra $100 but it should be a good option as well. Good luck, you're going to have one happy kid Christmas morning!

Comment

Originally posted by DogGuy87 View Post
              I second Fitch's recommendation to look at the Mission line although it looks like the Craze has been replaced by the Hammr.

The Hoyt Klash is about an extra $100 but it should be a good option as well. Good luck, you're going to have one happy kid Christmas morning!
              I’m not surprised they’ve changed models but that’s kind of the point, I haven’t had to look for a replacement.?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                Being a hater of technology and a die hard traditional shooter, I would say a longbow or a recurve to be the optimum starting point. I know not many (if any) will agree with me, but it is a very simplistic and basic archery concept. I started with a longbow at age 11 and worked into a recurve thru my teenage years. Technology has made archery almost extinct in the true word of the sport, but traditional bows are very gratifying to learn their use ! A traditional bow of 30-35 pound pull weight would be a good starting point, and would be in the price range of $150-200. Traditional bows can be 1 piece or takedown, custom made or production made, but either way are simple in basic form, simple to set up and keep in working order ! I think he will take pride in doing a form of hunting that not everyone else is doing. Good luck in your boy’s future which ever way you/he decide to go !
                If he just was looking to get his son started it would be one thing, but this is a Christmas gift, better to get the boy what he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer
                  I haven't handled a traditional bow in many years.
                  Do you still get slapped on the wrist by the string?
                  Not if your form is correct. I shoot my recurve without a arm guard, never have a problem !

Comment

I do not see anything in his question that states one way or the other as to what the boy wants, other than to get into bow hunting ! So who says it has to be other than traditional archery ? As far as I know, traditional is still bow hunting !

Comment

Diamond Infinite Edge Pro is one I can recommend from my own experience. You can adjust draw weight from 5 up to 70 lbs, and draw length from 13" - 31", so as your boy shoots up and fills out the bow can keep up. It seems well made and shoots well too, and can be had in ready-to-shoot form for about $300-odd, including rest, 3-pin sight, stabiliser and bag. You'll need a release and some arrows (the place I bought from included these). A target too, if you don't have one, so the boy can practice.

Comment

Fair enough, but I’m guessing the kid is thinking compound.
                        Could be worse, like video games!

Comment

Originally posted by DanielM View Post
                          Diamond Infinite Edge Pro is one I can recommend from my own experience. You can adjust draw weight from 5 up to 70 lbs, and draw length from 13" - 31", so as your boy shoots up and fills out the bow can keep up. It seems well made and shoots well too, and can be had in ready-to-shoot form for about $300-odd, including rest, 3-pin sight, stabiliser and bag. You'll need a release and some arrows (the place I bought from included these). A target too, if you don't have one, so the boy can practice.
                          Diamond is owned by Bowtech, another quality manufacturer. Good recommendation.

Comment

:-) !

Comment

Diamond archery
                              Mission archery
                              Bear
                              All three make bows that would work for you you would have to have him try them and see what he is comfortable with. I would also suggest the mission.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Pet Peeves
                                by PigHunter
                                Richard, it all depends on your relationship terms. I'm the man of the house and do what I want (as long as it's ok with PigHuntress)....
                                Today, 02:48 PM
                              • Pet Peeves
                                by jhjimbo
                                O.K., here is your chance to get it off your chest. List your pet peeves, about anything. Big or small.

I hate it when cameras jump arountd...
                                Today, 08:09 AM
                              • Reply to Pet Peeves
                                by PigHunter
                                Richard, it all depends on your relationship terms. I'm the man of the house and do what I want (as long as it's ok with PigHuntress).
                                Today, 02:47 PM
                              • Reply to Last week's hunting trip to SW Alabama
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                With safety issues such as you have described, I think you should give the name of the hunting lodge, just to protect others from going there ! Seem...
                                Today, 02:35 PM
                              • Last week's hunting trip to SW Alabama
                                by PigHunter
                                As some of you may remember, I scheduled a whitetail hunt for a few days last week at a lodge in my State. Allowed was one buck per day with at least...
                                Today, 12:34 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X