Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bow hunters: whats your age, bow 'poundage' and your bow manufacturer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shot 530 gr arrows from a 60# recurve. Not speedy, so limited shots to 25 yards.
    Worked fine.

Longer draw (powerstroke) and newer bow efficiency, yeah it won't shoot as flat.
    But you're still pretty flat

Set sights and drill em.

I shot 72# w a 28" draw on my Hoyt and Mathews bows 15 yrs ago. Arrow weight 430gr.
    Cut on contact heads. Blew through my deer (all shots under 25 yards except one).
    The long one was 45 yds and the deer tried to duck it, arrow was out other side of spine. So when she rolled down the hill, yeah...........the Gold Tip Pro series shaft was busted.

IBO on those two bows was 305 and 310 IIRC. I only chrono'd the Hoyt and it was 272 FPS.
    Loved the draw curve though.

You 30" draw guys with the extra oomph are so lucky!

Comment

I'm 31, been using an old Bear Archery bow set to 45lbs for bowfishing and small game hunting...just went all out on a new Hoyt Carbon RX3 Ultra for all around hunting but mostly gonna be targeting deer for the next few years until we move to northern Minnesota and I can hunt Moose and Black Bear. The bow has 65-75lb draw weight, set at 65 right now.

Comment

I may need to buy a low # rig or skip bow season.
        Looks like I might get some elbow work done. Be out for a few months.
        Can draw my bow, but it doesn't feel right, and thinking back there instead of out front on the target, aint gonna work.

If no go, no X bow, just gun hunt.
        I still have my Oneida and can back it down to 50# if need be.
        Wanted to run recurve.
        Will experiment and see if I can find a "point on" arrow setup and have a 20 yard rig with minimal practice.

One oops and I'll be hosed.
        Long shot is heal on it's own. But that means no use and I work 40 or more hours a week lifting stuff. So it's been annoying for the couple of months.

Have some 340 shafts. Ought to work below 60#. Know they won't at 65# on an Oneida.
        Think string overtravel what causes them to need more spine.

Comment

56 years old shooting a "59" Bear Kodiak replica at 55#. I elk hunt with a 55# Hoyt Buffalo.

Comment

The ol lady told me to order a New Blackwidow, but not in greybark (all three I had built before were greybark).
            Thinking 47# and she said go "40". Well that might be dandy for 3D, but I had an old HF1225 at 47# and it was pretty mild IMHO.

Just depends on what doc says about arm. Fingers and hand swollen yesterday, NEVER had that ever. No band on arm, just drove to bow/gun shop....easy drive too.

See how it is after work tonight.

Thought I could maybe go cheap for a temp trad, get a Samick Discovery and go 40# w 60" limbs. I don't like a 60" bow, but could tolerate it for 3D worst case.

Bowfished with a few 45# and felt way underpowered (with heavy glass arrow).

Also though Hoyt Satori 17" w Uukha shorts. decent chunk of money for such an ugly bow.
            Alernative Services had a great price on the Discovery risers, but in RH down to the homely sand colored. $100 savings over some other places.

I really like my old beater Blackwidow HS. Shame I can't get new limbs for it. Hell, I ought to make a hot box and form and try to do a set myself.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
              The ol lady told me to order a New Blackwidow, but not in greybark (all three I had built before were greybark).
              Thinking 47# and she said go "40". Well that might be dandy for 3D, but I had an old HF1225 at 47# and it was pretty mild IMHO.

Just depends on what doc says about arm. Fingers and hand swollen yesterday, NEVER had that ever. No band on arm, just drove to bow/gun shop....easy drive too.

See how it is after work tonight.

Thought I could maybe go cheap for a temp trad, get a Samick Discovery and go 40# w 60" limbs. I don't like a 60" bow, but could tolerate it for 3D worst case.

Bowfished with a few 45# and felt way underpowered (with heavy glass arrow).

Also though Hoyt Satori 17" w Uukha shorts. decent chunk of money for such an ugly bow.
              Alernative Services had a great price on the Discovery risers, but in RH down to the homely sand colored. $100 savings over some other places.

I really like my old beater Blackwidow HS. Shame I can't get new limbs for it. Hell, I ought to make a hot box and form and try to do a set myself.
              .....Hell, I ought to make a hot box and form and try to do a set myself.....” !

Good idea cd2. I have made 1 longbow and 2 recurves and had one damn fun time doing so too ! It really is not all that difficult and with your interest in trads, you would have a good eye for that work. Just making limbs would be even easier, so get serious and give it a go. If you do, keep me informed, maybe I could even be of some help.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad