Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bow hunters: whats your age, bow 'poundage' and your bow manufacturer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started with a Bear Grizzly but now as I am 70+ I shoot my old Jennings Buckmaster - 55lb ?
    This week when I do a little scouting before gun opener I will carry the Jennings.

Good friend I will be hunting with next week went to Africa and only took a bow. Got every animal he wanted to. Had to build an addition on his house for the mounts. Would go back in a heart beat.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 11-26-2019, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Started with a longbow. Went to a Darton "Trailmaster" set at 70#.
      From there, I had to crank her down to about 55#.
      Then back to a 45# recurve.
      At 68, a xray revealed no cartilage in my left elbow. No cartilage in my right shoulder.
      I had right shoulder replaced.
      1) any archery equipment will be a crossbow!
      2) don't care much for archery anyway!
      3) shoot one a year with a gun, I'm done!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        I'll be 50 in a couple weeks and have been shooting a Mathews Switchback set at 70lbs since 2007. Left shoulder has been giving me issues for a year or two now, but I have less pain shooting the bow than I do taking a gallon of milk out of the fridge. Rather than backing this one off I'll buy a new one that peaks at 60lbs., maybe next year.
        Funny this came back up. I still have the same Switchback, due to trying to get the kid his first bow deer it never left the house this year. He can hunt on his own next year so I’ll probably get back at it, but my daughter will be looking to start. She’s been old enough the past two seasons but can’t handle the required draw weight yet. If the regs stay the same she can use a crossbow at the end of next season so we may go that route. Looks like it will be a couple more years before I replace the Switchback.

On a positive note my rotator cuff seems to have healed itself after a few years. At least something hurts less these days, lol.

Comment

My elbow is still ouchy. Will take recurve thansgiving morning. 54#. I should be good for one shot. Problem will be dragging a deer out. Did buy a sled LOL. And my bud will be hunting w me.

Comment

66. 65 lbs tuned down to exsctly 58. Hoyt.

Comment

Just shy of 23, still shooting a Bowtech Sniper from 2010. My poundage is at 70#. When I shoot my recurve (which I have yet to hunt with) I believe the weight is around 45# at 28”, and my draw is 29”.

On my Bowtech I’d be comfortable going higher but the bow is maxed out. However I do feel like going higher would make it difficult to draw smoothly when it’s freezing and I haven’t moved in hours.

Comment

Started shooting a longbow at age 12 in 1952, and graduated up to recurve around 1954 until I entered the military in 1958. After the service I made the mistake of following technology and shot compound for 8-10 years before returning to trad bows. Am now shooting a Brackenberry recurve, have dropped from 62# to 52# limbs due to age of 79 ! Have found traditional shooting to be a very exciting way to hunt !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                  Started shooting a longbow at age 12 in 1952, and graduated up to recurve around 1954 until I entered the military in 1958. After the service I made the mistake of following technology and shot compound for 8-10 years before returning to trad bows. Am now shooting a Brackenberry recurve, have dropped from 62# to 52# limbs due to age of 79 ! Have found traditional shooting to be a very exciting way to hunt !
                  I used to be pretty sharp with a recurve, I just never cared about bow hunting.
                  When I did get into archery, compounds were all the rage. Therefore, I went with that and sights. I was just so-so.
                  When my shoulder began to play out, I went back to traditional and instinct shooting. Took a little while, but the instinct came back and I was pretty accurate.
                  But then the shoulder gave out.
                  Any archery will have to be cross bow now.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                    I'm primarily using a crossbow theses days. However, at 58, I can still draw 70lbs on my PSE compound. Doing exercises with heavy weight at the gym was destroying my shoulder so I backed off and do more reps instead.
                    Same for me too

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad