Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bow hunters: whats your age, bow 'poundage' and your bow manufacturer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bow hunters: whats your age, bow 'poundage' and your bow manufacturer?

Just tried to practice with the old bowtech after a few years of crossbow. I want to migrate back to compound. At 63, I find I can no longer pull the 65lb back. Anyone else with these issues?

I'll be 50 in a couple weeks and have been shooting a Mathews Switchback set at 70lbs since 2007. Left shoulder has been giving me issues for a year or two now, but I have less pain shooting the bow than I do taking a gallon of milk out of the fridge. Rather than backing this one off I'll buy a new one that peaks at 60lbs., maybe next year.

Comment

Have had same issues for a few years now Rocky. I am 77 and for years was shooting a 62# Jim Brackenberry recurve when elk and whitetail hunting. However about 5-6 years ago I needed to put my other limbs on which are 52#'s and I find they are giving me a little bit of trouble now also. I find practicing is harder to keep up with and if not done on a regular basis muscle strength is difficult to maintain ! With practice time cut shorter because of this, I will probably hunt very little now, I will not go into the woods not shooting my best. I have had my share of good hunts, so no complaints. Hope you are able to continue for more years yet !!

Comment

I have a Jennings Buckmaster set at about 50lbs. My Bear Grizzly is 45lbs.
        I broke my back a couple years ago and that set me back a lot. I am now about 90% of what I used to be strength wise but don't have the endurance built up yet.

Comment

I'm primarily using a crossbow theses days. However, at 58, I can still draw 70lbs on my PSE compound. Doing exercises with heavy weight at the gym was destroying my shoulder so I backed off and do more reps instead.

Comment

I turned 24 this summer. My compound is a Bowtech Experience I got is 2015 set to 70lbs. My longbow is a Bear Archery Montana with 60lbs draw weight.

Comment

I'll be 67 soon.
              I dropped my compound to 45 lbs.
              I could draw it fine, but holding it, the shakes set in and made hitting ANYTHING was a miracle!
              Went back to a 45 lb recurve and instinct shooting.
              I just don't bowhunt.

Comment

Originally posted by tmike51 View Post
                I turned 24 this summer. My compound is a Bowtech Experience I got is 2015 set to 70lbs. My longbow is a Bear Archery Montana with 60lbs draw weight.
                Tmike51, I am surprised to read that you are hunting with both compound and traditional. I have found that most trad shooters are confined to that mode of shooting and will foresake the use of technical equipment. I write this not in the purpose of telling you what is best, when you take an animal with traditional means, you will figure that out for yourself. Best of luck !

Comment

I have the Bowtech Sniper that my cousin gave me when I was 13, the first and only compound I've ever owned. I'm 20 now and I shoot it maxed out at 70lbs. My wife got me a Martin recurve for Christmas last year and I think it's 48lbs at 28" (I usually shoot at 29") , I enjoy it but not confident enough to hunt with it.

Comment

I will move to traditional only soon. I started with a 30lb bow and have slowly moved up as I have gotten better. Now that I am at a bow powerful enough I am confident using it on large animals I will be using it alone in the future.

Comment

Good for you Tmike, I am confident you will enjoy it as much as I have over the years and that you will take great pride in doing something not every one else does !! In today's hunting world traditional shooters are thought to be forgotten people.

Comment

I'm 39, shoot a Hoyt Turbohawk set at 56 lbs. I used to shoot it at 65lbs. Several years ago I was shooting a winter league and decided to back it off to take it easier indoors for that many shots per night. I forgot I had done that when the following hunting season rolled around and haven't regretted it for one minute. I have no reason to go higher.

Comment

I had my 2017 PSE Infinity set at 60# and with no practice found it to be super easy to draw smoothly and hold (why I got the 60# instead of 70#). Almost 55 yrs old.

Shot 72-82# rigs a lot, for a lot of yrs. Comes with a bit of a price.

I can still do it, but don't want to. New bows are harder on my joints. I can shoot an old Hoyt cam and a half at 70# where a hot rod 60# new rig hurts.

Run recurve now..........48# is my reg, got a 55# for heavy. No snap shooting,

Have some vert in my back that slides out often, hurts...........could ruin any archery soon. Dunno.

Oh yeah, bow brand? My two recurves are Black Widow.

Comment

29, Mathews triax at 70#

Comment

Got my Oneida set at 62#.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to China Virus
                                by Danbo
                                Very good article Pighunter ! It’s hard for governments to coverup something like that today when most people have smart phones. See pics out of China...
                                Today, 12:29 PM
                              • China Virus
                                by jhjimbo
                                Person in Seattle died. Student in Texas under observation. There would be no flu if there was not air travel. Virus hops a plane and can be anywhere...
                                Yesterday, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to China Virus
                                by PigHunter
                                But, there were trains and ships travelling the world. Here's an interesting article on the 1918 flu:
                                https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ea...
                                Today, 11:30 AM
                              • Reply to Memorial
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Sigh! You lucky guys. I am looking at snow in the back yard that is up to top of Ellie's back ... and more starting to come down (just a bit though)....
                                Today, 11:26 AM
                              • Reply to Impeachment a major blunder!
                                by 99explorer
                                If an impeachment resulted in overturning an election, Hillary Clinton would become president.
                                Today, 11:24 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X