Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you tune your own bow?

Can you tune your own bow?

yes. you surely can. but i don't recommend it unless you have the equipment.

Comment

Yes, I did and it works great, but only do it if you have the equipment and know how to do it without screwing-up.

Comment

It's good to take your bow into the shop and have re-tuned every now and then. It's like changing oil in your car. Your bow changes and wears with use. Rather than buy the equipment I take my bow back to the pro shop once or twice a year. I think it's only $5 or even free. (another reason to buy local)

Comment

The simple things you can do include adjusting your peep sight, adjusting wheel lean, adjusting your nocking point, move your rest for center shot, install string silencers, install a release loop and adjust draw length. The bad news is that you will need a bow press to accomplish most of these simple tasks easily. If you plan to stay with archery for the long term,I suggest that you purchase a bow press and that you learn to tune your own bow. It is very rewarding - much like reloading your own ammo for rifle shooting.

Comment

I prefer to let the local pro tune my bow. I highly recommend shooter's choice strings and cables when you need a replaement. When I shoot thru paper the hole is like a bullet hole with 3 little tears from the vanes.

Comment

Yes you can do it. But I'm with buckhunter/Del.
              I just let the "pros" handle it. It helps their bussiness and I get to "B.S. with the boys".
              Talking "shop".

Comment

I like to take my bow in to my local shop because it gives me an opportunity to ask questions and see what they know and think about the latest gear, etc. It's great to pick the brains of the guys that work and breathe that stuff.

Comment

I would also take it to the shop, they know how to do it right. You can tune the draw weight on your own (tightin both nobes on your bow to increase the draw weight).

Comment

Tuning yourself adds to the satisfaction. It isn't the easiest thing in the world, nor the hardest. But with the right equipment you can handle it. There are instructions to be found with just a little research. I bet the guys at the proshop would even help you learn

Comment

The guys in the pro shop are nice and do a great job but I like to tinker so I usually do most of it myself. I don't worry too much about messing things up except you do have to be careful about using the bow press. Be careful not to twist or stress your bow arms.

Comment

If you take the time to learn to deal with your own bow you will have abeetter

Comment

Sorry about the posting above. I don't know what happened. Anyway!! If you take the time to learn to tune your own bow you will have a better shooting hunting tool. I always tried to have my clients learn how to do these things for themselves. What do you do on a hunting trip if things go sour and you haven't learned the proper way to take care of your equipment? How do you deal with the simplest things in archery if you rely on a pro shop all of the time? I offered classes(for free) to teach archers how to tear down their bow in the woods and reassemble them to working specs and virtually every one of these guys are excellent tuners and very proficient archers and I'm happy to say have the ability to deal with just about anything that comes their way.

Comment

agreed with Del in KS and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad